I dont know if my duck is malpositioned!!

Thank you for the advice! What do you usually use when you do this? Can you tell me your technique? I'm so nervous!!
I'm always nervous when I do it, and I am even more nervous when I advise someone to do this. When I do it I make a tiny hole in the center of the bruise then very carefully start removing small pieces of the shell until I find the bill. Most bill bruises are round, so I think there is the possibility that this bruise could be from something else.

I'm always nervous when I do it, and I am even more nervous when I advise someone to do this. When I do it I make a tiny hole in the center of the bruise then very carefully start removing small pieces of the shell until I find the bill. Most bill bruises are round, so I think there is the possibility that this bruise could be from something else.
I just practiced on a infertile egg and think I can do it but dont want to if it's not necessary. Would you recommend maybe starting a hole in the air sac to see what position it is? That way I cant hit a vein while investigating? It's pretty over due and hate to think its suffering in there but I dont want to cause harm

I just practiced on a infertile egg and think I can do it but dont want to if it's not necessary. Would you recommend maybe starting a hole in the air sac to see what position it is? That way I cant hit a vein while investigating? It's pretty over due and hate to think its suffering in there but I dont want to cause harm
It may be over the "due date" but it may not actually be ready to hatch.
You can not go by the number of days because you (from the looks of it) do not know exactly what your temp and humidity have been through out. If you haven't calibrated a thermometer to know for sure your temp could have been way off, which can cause things (the duck) to not develop on time.

This is not a fun situation to be in, I know, but you open it you will kill it if it is not ready.

It may be over the "due date" but it may not actually be ready to hatch.
You can not go by the number of days because you (from the looks of it) do not know exactly what your temp and humidity have been through out. If you haven't calibrated a thermometer to know for sure your temp could have been way off, which can cause things (the duck) to not develop on time.

This is not a fun situation to be in, I know, but you open it you will kill it if it is not ready.
Thank you very much for all your help. Im going to leave it alone for now. I will post updates when I have them

It's hard to sit there and do nothing but if you don't know for sure it is better to just wait, I think.

What are you using to candle it with?
And are you doing it in a pitch black room when you do it?

Yes it is very hard but when I candled it last time which was yesterday I still saw veins so I'm way to nervous to poke any holes right now. I use a small but bright flashlight and yes I wait until night time and turn off the lights when I do it and it's very dark

Yes it is very hard but when I candled it last time which was yesterday I still saw veins so I'm way to nervous to poke any holes right now. I use a small but bright flashlight and yes I wait until night time and turn off the lights when I do it and it's very dark
:thumbsup

What does the air cell end look like when you candle it? Is it still round like it had been through incubation, or is it out of shape?

I agree that bruise spots usually mean they are trying to pip there, and just didn’t make it thru the shell. Sometimes they scrape the inner membrane and a little of the fluid seeps between the membranes and causes the bruise. But it is kinda oblong.

Do you know if the spot was there before, or did it just appear?
15DF8E8B-DD96-4A8C-92AB-CDC06453E07C.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom