I dont know if my duck is malpositioned!!

What does the air cell end look like when you candle it? Is it still round like it had been through incubation, or is it out of shape?

I agree that bruise spots usually mean they are trying to pip there, and just didn’t make it thru the shell. Sometimes they scrape the inner membrane and a little of the fluid seeps between the membranes and causes the bruise. But it is kinda oblong.

Do you know if the spot was there before, or did it just appear?
View attachment 1913111
The air sac looks good still. Not out of shape. The bruise just appeared yesterday morning. It wasnt there the day before. I know this for a fact because I inspected the whole egg and then did the float test. What would you recommend? He/she still hasn't internally piped

Can you still see veins when you candle it?
Yes I ended up candling it last night just to double check. I see what looks like veins but how do I know if they are dried up or not? Would they look the same even if the duck absorbed them? I know you are all saying to wait and I completely respect your advice you guys know way more than me but my gut is telling me that hes in trouble in there. But I'm also scared it's just my emotions talking. How long should I wait until I do something? Its day 31 now

The air cell should be drawn down by now. Especially if it’s day 31. Are you positive of that? I’ve lost count many times, so I don’t mean that to sound rude. :D

I personally would try to pick a piece of shell off near the bruise. If your temps have been low (which is probably the case if day 31 is accurate) and try to locate the bill.
Your overall goal would be to get the bill in clear air, including the nostril holes. But avoid any blood or excess fluid if it’s gooey inside. If it is, you can gently use a quick-tip to help clear it away.

The air cell should be drawn down by now. Especially if it’s day 31. Are you positive of that? I’ve lost count many times, so I don’t mean that to sound rude. :D

I personally would try to pick a piece of shell off near the bruise. If your temps have been low (which is probably the case if day 31 is accurate) and try to locate the bill.
Your overall goal would be to get the bill in clear air, including the nostril holes. But avoid any blood or excess fluid if it’s gooey inside. If it is, you can gently use a quick-tip to help clear it away.
Yes I have a white board on my fridge and wrote the day I put them in on the board. I didnt count the first day though. Since then I've been counting the days so I'm positive its 31. Definitely doesn't sound rude I appreciate this help very much I know I'm putting you guys in a somewhat bad situation to because I know you want to give me the best advice. I work until 10 but will try taking some shell off when I get home. I'm home for the next two days so could keep a good eye on it. I will update you all when I have some news. Again thank you all so much

So I wanted to update everyone. I removed the part of egg covering the bruise and found the beak! He was moving around while I was doing it so I know he was still alive and definitely malpositioned. I made it so his beak and nostrils were free and able to get oxygen. I know I said this a million times but thank you to everyone who helped. I think we may have saved his life. I will post more updates when I have them. Hopefully I have a healthy baby duck in a day or two!!!

Excellent!! Great job!

Yes, he may still take a day or two to hatch, so proceed slowly. Try keeping the area around the hole moist with vaseline or coconut oil. (Vaseline lasts longer, in my opinion)
Watch for “yawning” motion and chewing. That means yolk absorption is still happening.

Once he’s ready, he should start trying the break the shell around the hole, and will start trying to stretch outward. You will likely have to continue to help, once he’s ready. But as long as the beak is in open air, he has a good chance!

So unfortunately I have a sad update. The baby didnt make it. I'm not really sure what happened. After i cleared his beak he seemed fine. But he never chirped and the next day there was no movement. Maybe he had a hard time adjusting to breathing or maybe I waited to long. I'm not sure but I waited until today and then removed a little more shell and it was clear he was gone. I'm very upset about this but I tried everything I could for the little guy . Still it's hard not to blame myself. It was very nice having all of your support through this process. I still have one egg in there that was put it after the first one and he seems to be doing great so I'm hopeful I'll atleast have one healthy baby. Thanks again everyone. I will be buying a real incubator if I ever do this again. It's so heart breaking to see a fully developed duck pass away just days before it should have hatched

So unfortunately I have a sad update. The baby didnt make it. I'm not really sure what happened. After i cleared his beak he seemed fine. But he never chirped and the next day there was no movement. Maybe he had a hard time adjusting to breathing or maybe I waited to long. I'm not sure but I waited until today and then removed a little more shell and it was clear he was gone. I'm very upset about this but I tried everything I could for the little guy . Still it's hard not to blame myself. It was very nice having all of your support through this process. I still have one egg in there that was put it after the first one and he seems to be doing great so I'm hopeful I'll atleast have one healthy baby. Thanks again everyone. I will be buying a real incubator if I ever do this again. It's so heart breaking to see a fully developed duck pass away just days before it should have hatched
Please, please get another thermometer and calibrate it before you try this again.
And a humidity gauge.

Back
Top Bottom