I don't know if they're scared or sick

--At work and I asked my mom about the WR and if she's ok. She moved out of the coop and is still hiding.

If everything seemed normal before whatever happened to spook them, then I would give them some time. Since they seemed spooked when you let them out this morning, also possible that something was hanging around the coop overnight or early this morning that got them worked up and scared. If you have a game camera, or can borrow one, then setting it up so you can see if anything shows up, may answer that. They are likely stressed, I would just keep an eye on them. If something happens that makes it seem more like illness, then let us know.

My flock knows when a predator is too close or hanging around. They refuse to leave the run or stay really close to the run. When this happens, I just lock them in the run for about a week. This allows for the spring bear to pass through and the autumn cougar to pass through also. When there was a bobcat hanging around, they were locked in the run for a longer time until they told me it was gone (they were back to their normal personalities).

Do you mean she died? I'm so sorry if that's the case. :hugs She may have had an underlying health issue that was aggravated by stress. The only way to know for sure is to have her body necropsied. Sometimes symptoms of illness can be very subtle, the birds hide it very well until it's very advanced, so it will sometimes go unnoticed. If you want to have her necropsied, refrigerate the body (don't freeze) and the link below is a list of labs by state:
https://www.aphis.usda.gov/animal_health/nahln/downloads/all_nahln_lab_list.pdf

You mentioned her poop was dark and runny. Any chance you can take a white paper towel, tissue and pick it up. The white will make it obvious, just in case it's blood. I only say this because I just went through something similar. If I didn't get the poop on a white paper towel, I probably just would have thought it was dark.
I am so sorry for your loss. Sending you virtual hugs

I'm so sorry 😔 did she pass away or did she go missing?

She passed away. :(

You mentioned her poop was dark and runny. Any chance you can take a white paper towel, tissue and pick it up. The white will make it obvious, just in case it's blood. I only say this because I just went through something similar. If I didn't get the poop on a white paper towel, I probably just would have thought it was dark.
I am so sorry for your loss. Sending you virtual hugs

I scraped it up just now, and it didn't look red in any place. It was from yesterday, though. Could it have dried since then and turned brown?

No I don't think so. Blood would dry very dark, maybe even blackish. I'm so sorry. My heart breaks for you. It's been 1 week since I lost my sweet girl. You'll be in my thoughts. Wishing you the best with your girls

sorry for your loss . it does sound like they havent had much sleep . something it sounds like was trying to get them . qnd will be back . if nothing can get in where they are keep them in for a while they are good about knowing that a predator was around so they are tired and upset too scared . now one of their sisters is gone they will be sad i would give them some b complex and e vitamins just to boost their help. plz watch them very closely right now something is waiting to harm them . sometimes you can even have a human enemy. just be causius

Back
Top Bottom