I don't know if this is normal?

JellyKid

In the Brooder
Nov 10, 2021
I had one chick hatch yesterday around 1pm. Two other chicks popped their beaks out around the same time. The other chicks have not come out. They don't chirp. I'm here all the time and I have never heard them chirp. Are they dead? Should I wait longer or try to help them? It's been over 24 hours now.

I've never hatched chicks before, just ducks and they never had any problems.

After 24 hours I normally get a container or freshly boiled water put a chux cloth on top with a rubber band, quickly open incubator and lift the pipped chick if it chirps I quickly put it down and leave it for another 12hrs or so (I'm very much a hands off person (personal choice). However, if the chick is chirping and clearly struggling I do help out after 36hours. (eg. in my last hatch this chick had pipped and zipped but after a couple of hours of clearly struggling to push out I held it over my streaming container and helped it out, it was shrink wrapped it needed a bath to clear its eyes and head
I found this article really helpful the first time and still refer back to it when I need to https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/step-by-step-guide-to-assisted-hatching.64660/

Attachments

• 20220907_072841.jpg
    20220907_072841.jpg
    288.3 KB · Views: 2

Back
Top Bottom