I don't know what breed these are.....

bizzeeb60

In the Brooder
11 Years
Apr 8, 2008
Frostproof, FL
:|I am a newbie at this chicken raising. We were given these chicks ( 9 total) about 60 days ago when they were 30 days old. Can anyone tell me what breed they are? We have pretty much determined now that there are 4 Roosters and 5 Hens

20080422_0785.jpg

There are some more picture on my page, if it helps. Thanks

Here are a couple more pics that may make it easier to identify the kind of chicks they are:

The first two pics are of one of what I believe to be a rooster. The third picture is of one of the hens?

The fourth picture is the only mostly black of the bunch, I think it is a hen too. They are all about 75 days old now. Thanks again.
20080428_0829.jpg

20080428_0826.jpg

20080428_0869.jpg

20080428_0871.jpg

Yes that one is a rooster, third pic is a hen, the black one is a hen too. In the very first pic I see one rooster and 2 hens, can't see the 4th one too well.

They appear to be either pit game stock or game mix (or old english or OEG mix).

If you have more than one rooster and they never fought then probably game mix. Pure games especially stock from pit games tend to get in full out fights with each other from an early age.

sad.png
Now I'm more confused! I guess I will have to wait until the chicks get older (they are about 75 days now) because now I don't know if they are Phoenix or brown leghorns or some sort of old english game mix or I was even told they could be Welsummers? Too confusing:rolleyes:

OEG is same as game, pit game or fighting game. Generally OEG is used for the bantam or show stock.

Their tails are quite short to be phoneix, leghorn and even OEG. They look quite OEG.. except the tail seems rather short, could be just for right now and as adults they might have tails a bit longer than that.

They certainly are not "brown" nor welsumers. Those are based on e+.. aka Light Brown, Red Duckwing, Black Breasted Red etc. Check out pictures of light brown leghorn hens.. the girls should look exactly like that if they were browns.

Instead they appear to be wheaten based. The roosters look quite a lot like e+ roosters but the hens look quite different, basically variations on a more or less solid colored body with dark tails & often some black on the necks. Wheaten is Extremely common in pit game stock.

Their legs are also yellow, which kind of safely rules out Phoneix also, these are supposed to have slate legs.

In any case, I think you might really like their looks as they mature. Games can be one of the most beautiful chickens.

Back
Top Bottom