I dont know what is wrong! I need help with my pekin duck A.S.A.P!!!

alindm1

Chirping
6 Years
Apr 26, 2013
I don't know if my duckling is crippled. We put him in the tub yesterday and his legs were fine. But today for some reason his left leg is in front of him and his right leg is behind him. What happened? Did he change overnight? Was it something I did? Can it be fixed? Is he even crippled or is it something else? I have raised ducks in the past and I have never run into this problem. I am totally freaked because he follows me around the yard and comes when I call his name, I love him and I would hate to lose him this early
hit.gif
. Can anyone help me?
fl.gif

I forgot to mention that he is 2 weeks and 3 days old and his sister is just fine. What is wrong?

I don't know if my duckling is crippled. We put him in the tub yesterday and his legs were fine. But today for some reason his left leg is in front of him and his right leg is behind him. What happened? Did he change overnight? Was it something I did? Can it be fixed? Is he even crippled or is it something else? I have raised ducks in the past and I have never run into this problem. I am totally freaked because he follows me around the yard and comes when I call his name, I love him and I would hate to lose him this early
hit.gif
. Can anyone help me?
fl.gif

I forgot to mention that he is 2 weeks and 3 days old and his sister is just fine. What is wrong?
Can you give us more info, what are you feeding? type of bedding? but I can almost bet it's a niacin deficiency It happens quite often in Pekin ducklings because they grow so fast, Be back with some infohttp://metzerfarms.blogspot.com/2011/03/are-my-ducklings-leg-problems-due-to.html if caught early most always can be fixed.. all the best. and
welcome-byc.gif

Last edited:
I am feeding him Purina Start and Grow (Non-Medicated),
and his bedding is Wood Shavings for Bedding.

I am feeding him Purina Start and Grow (Non-Medicated),
and his bedding is Wood Shavings for Bedding.
Get the niacin or Brewers yeast not baking yeast and start them on it ASAP, you should tell an difference in less than a week. if it's niacin, but most likely it is.

I just went out right now to check on him and he is worse that yesterday and was stuck in the bottom of my bin's floor. (He is with my mallards so the bedding gets really wet.) He was suctioned to the floor. I had to dislodge him. Is their anything I can do?

I just went out right now to check on him and he is worse that yesterday and was stuck in the bottom of my bin's floor. (He is with my mallards so the bedding gets really wet.) He was suctioned to the floor. I had to dislodge him. Is their anything I can do?
He needs to be in a clean dry environment with heat for now till you can get some Niacin or Brewers Yeast. Staying wet or damp isn't good for a 2 week old duckling with problems right now. Start the niacin at 100-150mgs into a gallon of water and then into his drinking water, if a niacin dif. you should start to noticed improvements pretty quick.
fl.gif

Back
Top Bottom