I don't know what to do!

Katthechickenamateur

In the Brooder
Mar 28, 2021
My family wants to go on a month long trip to western USA. I'm getting 6 baby chicks on April 12th, and we're planning on leaving May 15th ish. By then, the chicks will be a month old and growing their feathers. Here are the issues. 1. We could probably move them outside but then their in a new environment, and without me. Plus, even though we'll have someone looking after them, I'll still be worried about predator safety. 2. I'll be missing bonding time, and they'll be growing a lot, which I do not want to miss. 3. I won't even enjoy the trip because I'll be worried about them.

My parents are saying they can cancel it, but I know how much they wanted to go, and I don't want to be a party pooper.

What should I do?
-Katherine

If you can get a goose get one. They will alert the chickens of predators and fight off predators.
This isn't something that is suggested often because it's cruel to get one goose as a flock protector. The goose will lead a lonely life as they don't speak the same language as chickens. That doesn't mean that they won't learn to communicate with each other somewhat but it's not the same as having a real life friend with common interests and habits. I know that there are people in the world that have one goose and I respect that it's their prerogative. I just wanted to offer more information :D

This isn't something that is suggested often because it's cruel to get one goose as a flock protector. The goose will lead a lonely life as they don't speak the same language as chickens. That doesn't mean that they won't learn to communicate with each other somewhat but it's not the same as having a real life friend with common interests and habits. I know that there are people in the world that have one goose and I respect that it's their prerogative. I just wanted to offer more information :D
I have a goose and she is by herself and she is happy but thankyou for your opinion. :)

Back
Top Bottom