I don't know what's wrong!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Americano Blue, Sep 14, 2014.

1. Americano Blue

Americano Blue Mush on!

Apr 14, 2014
    Hello Spring
    My Coop
    My chickens are losing their tail feathers and combs! No joke I walked out to them one day and on was missing her comb and tail feather! I don't think they are being picked on because 4/7 of my hens. I don't know what is going on! Other then that they are acting normal. They don't even seem in pain with the whole comb thing. HELP I DON"T WHAT TO DO!!!!!!!!

Last edited: Sep 14, 2014
  2. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    Ok - deep breath - can you take and post photos of what you are seeing? When you noticed the missing feathers and combs, what did the area where those parts were look like?

3. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

We need to see pictures.

4. Americano Blue

Americano Blue Mush on!

Apr 14, 2014
    Hello Spring
    My Coop
    I can post pics tomorrow. It's pitch black right now.
    What do you mean? I can't find the missing combs if that is what you mean. I've looked around but can find them.

5. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

The area she is asking about is the area around the comb.......
    And the area where the feathers came off. I can't think of a disease that causes combs to fall off. Where as lots of things can cause feathers to come off.

1 person likes this.
  6. Americano Blue

Americano Blue Mush on!

Apr 14, 2014
    Hello Spring
    My Coop
    Oh, so around the comb, it slightly a brighter red then the comb was. It's like the comb just got up and walked away. Some of them are only missing half a comb. It doesn't look like it got ribbed off but I will take a closer look tomorrow. The feather area just looks like when they molt. Like I said I will look closer and take pics tomorrow. at first I thought they where being picked on, but then I noticed most of the hens are missing them too. We had mice invade last week but I got rid of them. Do you think that there might be a surviving mouse and he's eating my birds?!?!?! *deep breath*

7. Americano Blue

Americano Blue Mush on!

Apr 14, 2014
    Hello Spring
    My Coop
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    below are pics of her a month ago.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Sorry I took so long to get the pics.

8. Mickey Lou 04

Mickey Lou 04 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2013
    It might just be me but I don't see where she is missing part of her comb, looks like her feathers behind her comb have been plucked. Do you have a rooster? Have you checked for mites/lice?

9. Mickey Lou 04

Mickey Lou 04 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2013
    Plus how old is she? Is she maybe starting to molt? I have a hen that looks like a skeleton when she molts.

10. Fancychooklady

Fancychooklady Chicken Obsessed

Jun 14, 2012
    Tasmania. Australia
    If you have a roo that is a classic ' over mating ' sign. Otherwise it could be lice or mites. The comb hasn't dropped off , just feathers missing. This is what a comb looks like before it drops off.

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by