I don't know what's wrong!

Americano Blue

Make everyday count
6 Years
Apr 14, 2014
(Insert Something Sarcastic)
My Coop
My Coop
My chickens are losing their tail feathers and combs! No joke I walked out to them one day and on was missing her comb and tail feather! I don't think they are being picked on because 4/7 of my hens. I don't know what is going on! Other then that they are acting normal. They don't even seem in pain with the whole comb thing. HELP I DON"T WHAT TO DO!!!!!!!!

Last edited:
My chickens are losing their tail feathers and combs! No joke I walked out to them one day and on was missing her comb and tail feather! I don't think they are being picked on because 4/7 of my hens. I don't know what is going on! Other then that they are acting normal. They don't even seem in pain with the whole comb thing. HELPI DON"T WHAT TO DO!!!!!!!!

Ok - deep breath - can you take and post photos of what you are seeing? When you noticed the missing feathers and combs, what did the area where those parts were look like?

I can post pics tomorrow. It's pitch black right now.
Ok - deep breath - can you take and post photos of what you are seeing? When you noticed the missing feathers and combs, what did the area where those parts were look like?

What do you mean? I can't find the missing combs if that is what you mean. I've looked around but can find them.

The area she is asking about is the area around the comb.......
And the area where the feathers came off. I can't think of a disease that causes combs to fall off. Where as lots of things can cause feathers to come off.
Oh, so around the comb, it slightly a brighter red then the comb was. It's like the comb just got up and walked away. Some of them are only missing half a comb. It doesn't look like it got ribbed off but I will take a closer look tomorrow. The feather area just looks like when they molt. Like I said I will look closer and take pics tomorrow. at first I thought they where being picked on, but then I noticed most of the hens are missing them too. We had mice invade last week but I got rid of them. Do you think that there might be a surviving mouse and he's eating my birds?!?!?! *deep breath*

It might just be me but I don't see where she is missing part of her comb, looks like her feathers behind her comb have been plucked. Do you have a rooster? Have you checked for mites/lice?

If you have a roo that is a classic ' over mating ' sign. Otherwise it could be lice or mites. The comb hasn't dropped off , just feathers missing. This is what a comb looks like before it drops off.

Back
Top Bottom