I don't think Henrietta is going to make it.

Raen

Songster
9 Years
Nov 3, 2010
Missouri
I got nine babies from Ideal in the mail yesterday, all appeared healthy, were active and ate and drank well. This afternoon, though, I saw Henrietta, one of my EEs, get trampled by the other girls and she didn't get up. I put her back on her feet, and she seemed fine for a few hours, then I noticed she was breathing rapidly and shallowly, and sleeping when no-one else was. I've isolated her, but her symptoms continue. She won't open her eyes or drink anything.

Poor baby. She isn't wheezing or breathing open beaked, she's just taking tiny shallow breaths. All the other girls are being their normal active selves. Is there anything I can do for her other than keep her warm? I don't see this ending well.

Try some sugar water or what I use electrolytes and vits in a powered form . You get it @ the feed store. Good luck. Sometimes they just don't make it through no fault of your own.

I can't even get her to take regular water at this point.
sad.png

I am a newbie too and am soon going to have 20 baby peeps on my hand...and this is what I am scared of!! I'm such a softie I know it might happen when I get them, but then i read these heart breaking posts...i'm sorry but still have faith she will pull thru! Keep us posted!

sometimes the stress is to much for them. My personal opinion on a chick this young. The best thing you can do is leave it alone and try to keep it as quiet and peaceful as possible. Handeling it to check on it or trying to make it drink sugar water can just cause it more stress. I think it has a better chance of recovering the less you handel it. A lot of times there really isn't anything you can do

She just died.
sad.png

I know it sounds bad, but I'm glad she went quickly, she seemed so miserable, I hate to watch an animal suffer.

The rest of the girls are doing great, hopefully this will be my only loss.

Thanks for the support and sympathy. I got a few more chicks than I really wanted because I knew some of them might not make it, but it still completely sucks. RIP, Henrietta.

Back
Top Bottom