1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

I don't think Henrietta is going to make it.

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Raen, Mar 26, 2011.

1. Raen

Raen Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 3, 2010
    Missouri
    I got nine babies from Ideal in the mail yesterday, all appeared healthy, were active and ate and drank well. This afternoon, though, I saw Henrietta, one of my EEs, get trampled by the other girls and she didn't get up. I put her back on her feet, and she seemed fine for a few hours, then I noticed she was breathing rapidly and shallowly, and sleeping when no-one else was. I've isolated her, but her symptoms continue. She won't open her eyes or drink anything.

Poor baby. She isn't wheezing or breathing open beaked, she's just taking tiny shallow breaths. All the other girls are being their normal active selves. Is there anything I can do for her other than keep her warm? I don't see this ending well.

2. nanawendy

nanawendy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2009
    Bellingham Wa
    Try some sugar water or what I use electrolytes and vits in a powered form . You get it @ the feed store. Good luck. Sometimes they just don't make it through no fault of your own.

3. Raen

Nov 3, 2010
    Missouri
    I can't even get her to take regular water at this point. [​IMG]

4. earnhardtlvr

earnhardtlvr Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2011
    Hagerstown, MD
    I am a newbie too and am soon going to have 20 baby peeps on my hand...and this is what I am scared of!! I'm such a softie I know it might happen when I get them, but then i read these heart breaking posts...i'm sorry but still have faith she will pull thru! Keep us posted!

5. nittanyxi

nittanyxi Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2010
    Pittsburgh
    sometimes the stress is to much for them. My personal opinion on a chick this young. The best thing you can do is leave it alone and try to keep it as quiet and peaceful as possible. Handeling it to check on it or trying to make it drink sugar water can just cause it more stress. I think it has a better chance of recovering the less you handel it. A lot of times there really isn't anything you can do

6. Raen

Nov 3, 2010
    Missouri
    She just died. [​IMG]

I know it sounds bad, but I'm glad she went quickly, she seemed so miserable, I hate to watch an animal suffer.

The rest of the girls are doing great, hopefully this will be my only loss.

Thanks for the support and sympathy. I got a few more chicks than I really wanted because I knew some of them might not make it, but it still completely sucks. RIP, Henrietta.

7. nanawendy

nanawendy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2009
    Bellingham Wa
    [​IMG] I;m sorry... But I totally get what you said, swiftness is good if there is nothing to be done. [​IMG]

8. klmclain1

klmclain1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2011
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 26, 2011
  9. mother o' chicks72

mother o' chicks72 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2011
    Portland, Oregon
    yeah, it's good she went quickly. one of the main reasons people will euthanize pets is because they are in too much pain. At least she didn't suffer for too long.

10. earnhardtlvr

earnhardtlvr Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2011
    Hagerstown, MD
    [​IMG] so sorry about the loss...i'm a newbie and i am definately! not looking forward to having to face that reality.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by