I dont think it's bumble foot, Cochin Rooster .....ADVICE?

Ok, one of my girlfriends (that has never seen a chicken in real life) told me to just cut it's foot off and it would be fine "It's just a chicken you know" was what she said.
I DON"T think so.

Honestly... to me that looks like what my part Cochins feet look like in the fall/winter after walking in mud and dragging the excess weight of dirt on the feathers. It's not a problem by spring since by then, his lightly feathered legs are nearly bald and he only has nubs left. If his feet were muddy or if the feathers are always wet, it may just irritating the feather shafts and making them raw red and thus may hurt. If those are pin feathers I see there, that might just add to the red problem as they are more tender and are probably getting damaged/wiggled excessively with each step he has to make with stuff stuck on it or with damp feet. It's one reason I like my feather footed silkies to be sparse on the feet and avoid feathered legs otherwise out here in the PNW.

Thanks silkiechicken, I was hoping someone would know something.
Ok...pin feathers...thats new feathers right? There are some of his theathers on his foot that look like they have white ribbon wrapped around them...are those just new feathers that havent opened?

Should I cut some of the feathers off his feat?

I am really worried, I was supposed to go out of town for the night friday, and DH will be here all alone and I dont think he even knows where the chicken food is!!! Ahrrrg!!! I dont think he will baby my Nikki while I am gone, maybe I will take him and the new kitten with me.

In the morning I am going to try to soak his foot again and sit with him by the fire and see if I can get better pics....it just looks soooooo painful! and the limping is pittiful!

That's a big foot (roo). You're going to get to bond with your nemesis: I'd start out with a twenty minute soak in warm water and Epsom salt (drawing agent). Mix in, thoroughly (it'll want to sink to the bottom of the pan), sufficient betadine to tint the water well. Place the roo on your lap so that affected foot is on top (roo should be shifted so leg is extended. Place a chair/stool/whatever with the pan (plastic flat bottomed storage container on a towel is very good) next to your chair (adjust height with book/mags). Place the roo's foot in the solution and sit there (sing to him talk to him whatever). If it is quiet enough he'll probably nod off.

Examine the cleaned foot closely: Any possible punctures/cuts/etc.?

He really needs to be kept somewhere where he can't move around (as much) and where you can keep the foot relatively clean (if there are any open wounds).

If that foot is as swollen as it appears in photo (would like to see comparison with good foot), he really needs a trip to the vet (bumble foot - if that's what it is - in a heavy, feather footed roo is labor/med intensive treatment course).

We are just now seeing the `talons at the end of tunnel' with our guy - month and a half of meds/soaks/dressing changes (thorn through the top of the foot). No excess ped plumage, however. Our vet has our guy on 250mg Cephalexin BID.

Best of luck!

Last edited:
The "shrinkwrapped" feathers are probably the pin feathers which are the new ones emerging. Don't cut those as they will bleed if cut too closely to the leg. You could trim the others if you wish. Do check for wounds, as a scab or cut could be a good place for an infection to get in if there are any hull breaches.

thanks, he acctually seemed to like the soak in the sink. I mainly did that cuz I didnt knwo what else to do, and so I could see his foot through all the feathers and mud.
It is sooo swollen but I didnt see any cuts or scabs...but then again I was kinda spinning circles there at that moment...thinking he was going to rip my throat out as I held him in the sink.

Hopefully tomorrow I can have another pair of hands that ARENT that of a 9 yr old.

Right now he is sleeping like a big fat feathery baby on towels in the dog crate/chicken hospital. I am tempted to give it another try and see if I can see what is causing all the swelling, but I think I will wait till morning and let him sleep.

I would suggest you prepare for a long haul of restriction for your roo (so no more free ranging in the mud or flying up and down from a roost)....
in addition to the other advice I want to ask if you are providing him a differnet feed to what the gals are getting... roos should not have layer>too much calcium...

Last edited:
Quote:
Im glad you saw my thread.....any advice you can give me would be great, I am re-reading this all this morning and doing some more research after I get the house warmed up and soak his foot again.
idunno.gif
I didnt know he was supposed to have different food. I feel stupid.
Same question Dove asked....."If you are housing the roos with the hens, how do you feed them something different?"

he.gif
idunno.gif
sad.png
I STILL have so much to learn!

Hi, I have used a better way of soaking from my horses . Put the stuff in a plastic back, and put their foot in it. And just hole the top of the back and hold it with your hand.

Back
Top Bottom