I don't understand...

I've left everything running when I've had to go to town for something if there's clear weather. We normally get afternoon storms and I shut off the power to the coops/pens from the back porch.
Besides, the rain cools things down and there's no need to run the fans, until the sun comes back out and then it's a steam bath.
I just use the one fan, since it is pretty powerful in my big coop, and a small fan in the little coop. I set them on timers to run the hottest times of the day, usually around 10 am to 10 pm, but that would vary with your temps. Occasionally there can be a power outage which means the timers have to be reset.
Ok! Thanks for y'alls insight!

My favorite chickens, Licorice and Bear, both died of heat stroke.
I'm so sorry about that. :hugs😭
Sometimes it just happens. Sorry about your chickens. It is always so sad.
Yes, it happens, and its always sad. The chicken grave yard just keeps on growing...
The EE rooster was getting old thought. Could have died of old age.
Possibly. :idunno
Bear was 6 months old and when we let her out she was dead on the coop floor. Licorice was 2 years old but very healthy that morning. Suddenly she was having a hard time breathing and died that night. 😢
So young...:hugs

Hello everyone!
I've had two deaths in my flock, each within about a week of each other, both were sudden and unexpected. No symptoms before passing, and I didn't see any wounds.
One was a 4ish yo Easter Egger rooster, and the other a 1 1/2yo Welsummer hen.
I found the EE dead on the coop floor one morning, didn't look like he fell off the perch, seemed to me he got off of it and then passed.
As for the Welsummer, I got home this evening and found her dead in the run. I left the house a little after 4, and came back about 8:30.
I'm not sure what happened, all I can think of is the heat, it's been a bit above 100 for a couple months now. It's just I've never had sudden deaths until this year. I know the only way to really know what happened is to get a necropsy done, but I don't really want to do that, as I like to bury my chickens.
This is all so heart breaking for me, and now I'm so worried about the rest of my flock and can't stand to find another one gone. 💔😭
Hey Tookie, I actually had my 1 year old cream legbar mix pass in the night last year. She was super healthy, and number 1 at the time. Although I knew her disposition really well and she was very anxious about noise (mowing the lawn was terrifying for her). Consequently, she passed the night of july 4th, no injuries or signs of illness at all, and I've been called a helicopter parent by vets, so I know the noise had to play a major factor in her death oppose to illness. So this incident was mostly due to something external like heat, noise or predator scare (anxiety) if your sure there's no illness involved. Just for reference, I live in florida and deal with excessive heat as well. Although my ladies free range 2 acres of wooded and grass areas, they do spend alot of time under out deck during the day 🙄

Back
Top Bottom