Tookie

🐓Eggsuberant🐤
Premium Feather Member
Dec 19, 2021
Central Texas
My Coop
My Coop
Hello everyone!
I've had two deaths in my flock, each within about a week of each other, both were sudden and unexpected. No symptoms before passing, and I didn't see any wounds.
One was a 4ish yo Easter Egger rooster, and the other a 1 1/2yo Welsummer hen.
I found the EE dead on the coop floor one morning, didn't look like he fell off the perch, seemed to me he got off of it and then passed.
As for the Welsummer, I got home this evening and found her dead in the run. I left the house a little after 4, and came back about 8:30.
I'm not sure what happened, all I can think of is the heat, it's been a bit above 100 for a couple months now. It's just I've never had sudden deaths until this year. I know the only way to really know what happened is to get a necropsy done, but I don't really want to do that, as I like to bury my chickens.
This is all so heart breaking for me, and now I'm so worried about the rest of my flock and can't stand to find another one gone. 💔😭

I hope somebody has some insight for you, Tookie. Like you said though, maybe it's just the heat. I have some single-serve GatorAde bottles that I fill half full and freeze, then on hot days I top them off with cold water and put them in the chickens' waterers. They definitely drink more if the water is nice and cool.

That kind of heat is really hard on them 😓
We're not up above 100, but it was 98 today (for most of the day) and it's not going to get below 82 tonight (for like, a whole hour). My birds are not happy, though they have woods to hide in and cool beverages.
I think it's so important just how long the temperatures last each day, if they don't have the chance to cool down in the evening it's a lot more stressful.
I hope this is the last loss for you this year :hugs

I'm sorry for your losses.
The heat can be a factor. Perhaps you can install a fan in your coop. Have it blowing air out the vent and fresh air will enter through the other vents, indirect airflow. You dont want the air blowing directly on your birds.
I have fans inside all my coops, two in one of the bigger coops. I have fans in the pens as well.
I shut the fans off in the coops in the mornings when I let the birds out for the day. Then turn the fans on in the pens. Visa versa in the late evening when the birds go to roost for the night. I hope this helps.

Hello everyone!
I've had two deaths in my flock, each within about a week of each other, both were sudden and unexpected. No symptoms before passing, and I didn't see any wounds.
One was a 4ish yo Easter Egger rooster, and the other a 1 1/2yo Welsummer hen.
I found the EE dead on the coop floor one morning, didn't look like he fell off the perch, seemed to me he got off of it and then passed.
As for the Welsummer, I got home this evening and found her dead in the run. I left the house a little after 4, and came back about 8:30.
I'm not sure what happened, all I can think of is the heat, it's been a bit above 100 for a couple months now. It's just I've never had sudden deaths until this year. I know the only way to really know what happened is to get a necropsy done, but I don't really want to do that, as I like to bury my chickens.
This is all so heart breaking for me, and now I'm so worried about the rest of my flock and can't stand to find another one gone. 💔😭
I'm so sorry.... Can it somehow fit your way of doing things and get the necropsy and then request the body for burial? That way their deaths might lead to preserving more lives.... Just a tiny suggestion. I'm sorry. I have dealt with many deaths and each one affects me, even those not ours over here... I'm just sorry.

Sorry for your loss. Heat sounds like a good possibility. I do home necropsies when I lose one. Pictures can be taken to post here of the organs. Then you could bury the chicken. Of course, the professional state vet necropsy if more thorough and they can do testing. Summer heat is hard on them, and then if any are molting it is much harder. Shade, multiple water stations, water pans to stand in to cool, windows, and fans are all good. Hopefully, this won’t keep happening.

I hope somebody has some insight for you, Tookie. Like you said though, maybe it's just the heat. I have some single-serve GatorAde bottles that I fill half full and freeze, then on hot days I top them off with cold water and put them in the chickens' waterers. They definitely drink more if the water is nice and cool.
Good idea, I'll have to try that sometime!

That kind of heat is really hard on them 😓
It is, although I've never had problems with my flock and the heat, and have never had mysterious deaths in all my 8 years of chicken keeping.
We're not up above 100, but it was 98 today (for most of the day) and it's not going to get below 82 tonight (for like, a whole hour). My birds are not happy, though they have woods to hide in and cool beverages.
When mine free range, they have lots of shade and water dishes.
I think it's so important just how long the temperatures last each day, if they don't have the chance to cool down in the evening it's a lot more stressful.
At night here, it does cool down, definitely gets below 90.
Last night it was in the mid 80s with wind, which is wonderful compared to the day time heat.
I hope this is the last loss for you this year :hugs
Me too. 😔

Back
Top Bottom