I don't want to get rid of my rooster!

I completely understand how you feel. I just did it today myself in fact. First time ever, and it was a bit traumatic (for me), but necessary. There are several humane ways to do it and youtube is full of tutorials for every method. Hanging upside down by the feet or in a culling cone and cutting it's carotid artery, or swift decapitation on a chopping block seem to be the most common methods.

I get rid of roosters that are rough with the hens and ones that show any aggression to humans at all. Especially since I hatch my own eggs I don't want those traits to be passed on.

Like others said, there are free roosters everywhere.

My rooster is a bit rough on the girls feathers but not out of meanness. He is a really big boy. He is also gentle and sweet. The chicken saddles didn’t work all that well so I have him in his own bachelor pad next to the main coop and run. He is still able to see and interact with the hens and even remains watchful when they are outside of their run. He is still part of the flock and I have no plans to cull him for just being a rooster.

@TJAnonymous , you know where this is going, with both of your cockerels! The first one is still planning to take you out, and will build up the nerve to try again any time. The second really bears watching, because he's thinking the same thoughts.
One of my roosters, hatched spring 2019, started following me around last summer, all so very innocently. I knew better! He should have been courting the ladies, and watching for danger, but he focused too much time on me. Same thing, if I made eye contact, he'd peck at the ground or wander off. Right. One day this fall, he nailed me, from behind of course, in the leg, and when i turned to face him, he flaired at me. His last mistake, ever.
And I often will put the bird in a live trap, so my shot to the head is easier.
Attack birds need rehomeing to the freezer, not to another place where they can injure someone else.
Mary

@TJAnonymous , you know where this is going, with both of your cockerels! The first one is still planning to take you out, and will build up the nerve to try again any time. The second really bears watching, because he's thinking the same thoughts.
One of my roosters, hatched spring 2019, started following me around last summer, all so very innocently. I knew better! He should have been courting the ladies, and watching for danger, but he focused too much time on me. Same thing, if I made eye contact, he'd peck at the ground or wander off. Right. One day this fall, he nailed me, from behind of course, in the leg, and when i turned to face him, he flaired at me. His last mistake, ever.
Attack birds need rehomeing to the freezer, not to another place where they can injure someone else.
Mary

You're right, of course.... And I know it. I guess I keep putting it off for reasons in my own head but neither is a good reason. I am super paranoid about predators and I keep telling myself that they are protecting the girls. I also really want fertilized eggs this spring. Getting both, but probably not good to pass the potential aggressiveness down to offspring.

Many years ago I had a giant NHR rooster. Biggest bird I've ever seen. Easily had 4 inch spurs... But he was the most docile, friendly roo that ever existed. I loved that dang bird.... Neighbors dogs killed him.

I need a Roo like that....

Mary
It's funny because I had the very same experience with Eric today. I was walking through the yard and could tell he was behind me more than looking for a treat. When I turn, he flaired up and I just kicked him. He backed down, be then my German Shephard had to remind him who is in charge by running him off into the field.

I'm going to try a bachelor pen and just let him interact though a fence. I've had asshole friends before!

Back
Top Bottom