I don't want to get rid of my rooster!

I've had a rooster who was super friendly but suddenly decided to spur me as I was leaving the coop. When he hit me he landed outside of the coop and I've *never* managed to get my aim that good again. I probably hit him 4 times solidly with an old can, then the last hit bounced off the ground and nailed him right in the ass. Never seen a rooster jump and run so fast before. I rehomed him for a super small fee (like $3 or $5) and I heard the owner say, "if he's not a good rooster he'll be good in the stew pot." I didn't mind at all.

Recently I've had problems with roosters who are aggressive towards their offspring. They get offed for that. My latest dispatched rooster wouldn't attack me unless I was in a certain pair of shoes, but I still offed him. He was *very* aggressive with the hens and went after me a few times, but only in that one pair of shoes. The first time he did it I turned and walloped him upside the head out of reflex, and it took him a while to do it again - but he did it again. So he turned into stew. I shouldn't have to watch my back with a rooster, and when I get that feeling, off to freezer camp.

I hate the idea, at least now that I know better, to sell a rooster that might hurt a kid or an elderly person, or anyone not able to recognize an aggressive stance. I'd rather just outright get rid of them than to take that risk.

and as others have said, free or cheap roosters are plentiful.

In my experience, 'super friendly' cockerels are likely to actually be sizing you up, and lack respect. I want my cockerels to focus on the other birds, not me. And having adult hens and roosters helps get the youngsters less 'cocky', a term that's been around a long time, for good reason.
Also in my experience, roosters who get swatted during an attack might reconsider for a while, but not forever, and will also try every other human.
Mary

No kidding! I've had four GSDs, and as well trained as they are/were, I would not trust them around a chicken. Prey drive is a tough thing to turn off. I keep them as far apart as possible.
We moved into a home with "pre-existing" chickens seven years ago. The first time the GSD saw them, she managed to kill three in the space of sixty seconds before we got her way from the chicken area. After a verbal scolding, she never went near them again. She was an exceptional girl, though. I don't expect a verbal scolding to work for most dogs, let alone a dog with a high prey drive.

We moved into a home with "pre-existing" chickens seven years ago. The first time the GSD saw them, she managed to kill three in the space of sixty seconds before we got her way from the chicken area. After a verbal scolding, she never went near them again. She was an exceptional girl, though. I don't expect a verbal scolding to work for most dogs, let alone a dog with a high prey drive.

This is the look I get after a verbal scolding. "What's your problem, lady?" In this instance he was caught eating green beans in the garden. Still haven't figured out why I love the little bugger so much.
20200826_175934.jpg

Out of all our dogs, she holds a special place in my heart. I don't know why, but she does. There is just something about this breed that speaks to me. I understand your love.

We have 3 guardian dogs for our free range chickens and guineas.
One is a German Shepherd/Black lab mix called June.
When we adopted her she was 5.
We brought her home and she would kind of chase a chicken that would run from her.
After she was verbally scolded and of course following the example of the other 2 seasoned guardian dogs, she no longer even looks at the chickens.
she is Smart and Obedient, plus I think she didn't have the best life before she got to us and I think she will do almost anything to please us.
P1080053.JPG

Out of all our dogs, she holds a special place in my heart. I don't know why, but she does. There is just something about this breed that speaks to me. I understand your love.
Yup I get it, My GSD, lab mix is the same way, he would die for me. It is funny there is days he is like catching racoon, and standing back so they can be shot, and awesome recall...then he rolls in cat poo and I start questioning is brain power.

Back
Top Bottom