I feel kinda guilty about this...

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by 2pinkmom, Nov 11, 2010.

1. 2pinkmom

2pinkmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2010
    But I fed the hens what was left of a roast chicken dinner. It somehow got pushed to the back of the fridge, and while not bad, it was a little too old for human consumption. It was one of the Cornish X I had raised, so I didn't want to waste it. So I put it in the feed pan this morning with the girls' usual ration. I just feel slightly guilty at how much they're enjoying it! Or maybe a little creeped out. But good protein, and the meat isn't being wasted, I guess!

2. greyhorsewoman

greyhorsewoman Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2008
    Endless Mts, NE PA
    There is much that leaves my kitchen that isn't thrown to the chickens. I wouldn't spend a lot of time feeling guilty.

3. Break an Egg

Break an Egg Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2008
    San Antonio
    Yes, they love meat. Don't feel bad, my chickens have eaten what's left of our Thanksgiving turkey after we carve and get all the meat.

4. xyresicchick

xyresicchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2010
    Providence, RI
    my chickens ate the head off a mouse last week. i saw them chasing one this morning when i looked out the window. it was running on the bottom crossbeam of the fence around my yard. not a happy mouse.

5. crj

crj Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 17, 2009
    Rocky Point, NC
    Don't feel guilty. Chickens are canables. It's natural for them to eat meat.

6. Mervin

Mervin Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2010
    Central Pennsyltucky
    I felt guilty the first time I gave my flock some left over chicken fingers. They loved it so darn much though. I have a bowl of mean rooster and dumplings that needs to go out tonight in fact. The old farmer's wisdom was that inputs don't leave the farm unless they do so at a profit.

7. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    My adult flock got leftover chicken this morning. I'll bet they have thanksgiving marked on the calender in their coop. The only thing they like better than chicken is a turkey carcass.

8. wegotchickens

wegotchickens DownSouth D'Uccles & Silkies

Jul 5, 2007
    Sevier County, TN
    Quote:Ditto.

It his hysterical to watch the expression on the cat's face as the chickens steal her ration of turkey meat.
    "Mom!!! The food's eating my FOOD!"

9. 2DogsFarm

2DogsFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2009
    NW Indiana
    I cheated & used a rotisserie chicken for potpie.
    After I got all the meat off the bones I tossed the carcass out to the chickens.

I admit it ooged me out a bit to watch them go at it [​IMG]

A couple minutes later all that was left was the plastic tray it came in.
    I guess it was nobody they knew...

10. karimw

karimw Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2010
    Eastern IA
    Quote:[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by