I feel kinda guilty about this...

2pinkmom

Songster
9 Years
Mar 31, 2010
But I fed the hens what was left of a roast chicken dinner. It somehow got pushed to the back of the fridge, and while not bad, it was a little too old for human consumption. It was one of the Cornish X I had raised, so I didn't want to waste it. So I put it in the feed pan this morning with the girls' usual ration. I just feel slightly guilty at how much they're enjoying it! Or maybe a little creeped out. But good protein, and the meat isn't being wasted, I guess!

my chickens ate the head off a mouse last week. i saw them chasing one this morning when i looked out the window. it was running on the bottom crossbeam of the fence around my yard. not a happy mouse.

I felt guilty the first time I gave my flock some left over chicken fingers. They loved it so darn much though. I have a bowl of mean rooster and dumplings that needs to go out tonight in fact. The old farmer's wisdom was that inputs don't leave the farm unless they do so at a profit.

My adult flock got leftover chicken this morning. I'll bet they have thanksgiving marked on the calender in their coop. The only thing they like better than chicken is a turkey carcass.

Quote:
Ditto.

It his hysterical to watch the expression on the cat's face as the chickens steal her ration of turkey meat.
"Mom!!! The food's eating my FOOD!"

I cheated & used a rotisserie chicken for potpie.
After I got all the meat off the bones I tossed the carcass out to the chickens.

I admit it ooged me out a bit to watch them go at it
sickbyc.gif

A couple minutes later all that was left was the plastic tray it came in.
I guess it was nobody they knew...

Back
Top Bottom