I feel like this is NOT what was labeled at the farm store.

@Rhodebar Lover @EmmaRainboe @TheOddOneOut

What are y'all thinking on this bantam pullet? Came from a farm store so I'm assuming hatchery. I can't think of anything with her color/pattern, single comb, and slate legs.
Ugh, this is tough. I’d say she’s a Nankin bantam. But those are rare. Only a few small hatcheries sell them it seems.

Ugh, this is tough. I’d say she’s a Nankin bantam. But those are rare. Only a few small hatcheries sell them it seems.

Could be a Nankin bantam, but I think there’s only one larger hatchery that has them (purely poultry). She might also be an off-colored wheaten old English game bantam.

Glad I'm not the only one conflicted. Thanks peeps!

Well I called the store and told them about the breed mix up and they let me pick out 2 new chicks. I picked out a couple good layers. Fingers crossed neither are roos and I can find a new home for the one we have.

Don't worry about the little hen amongst the larger birds- with chickens, it's less to do with the size of the bird and more to do with the sass of the bird. RIRs aside, my highest pecking order hens have usually been some of the smaller ones. The absolute meanest hen I ever had was a bantam silkie; she was 4 ounces of feathers and eight ounces of wildcat. She wouldn't tolerate any other bird not making way for her and, if she was in the nest, I'd best wait for her to get off before checking for eggs. She'd bite, clamp down like a pit bull and shake and twist her head like she was looking to take a wedge of flesh off me.

Back
Top Bottom