I finally did it!!

Been up in Billings all day so doing a little catch-up now that I'm home. Here is a link to the heating pad that most of us are using:

http://www.amazon.com/Sunbeam-2013-...nbeam+x-tra+large+heating+pad#customerReviews

For fewer chicks, I used the same heating pad but I got the next size down. I was able to find mine at Walmart in that size, but not the extra large size. The critical thing is that you MUST be able to turn off that automatic shutoff feature. Otherwise you'll be running to the chicks every hour or two and turning it back on. Somewhere in the last 4-5 pages of the Mama Heating Pad in the Brooder thread someone found the Sunbeam Heating Pad without auto shut-off and it turns itself back on in case of a power outage. The only issue I see with that is that you can't fine tune the heat like you can with the ones we use. That one is High, Med, Low but the one my chicks had was digital with settings from 6 down to 1.

I do urge you to spend some time on that thread. You'll find a ton of good information, videos, photos, things folks have tried that worked and those that didn't, and a lot of hints. I don't know about the coops you found - we built ours so haven't spent a lot of time perusing others. This is ours:

Been up in Billings all day so doing a little catch-up now that I'm home. Here is a link to the heating pad that most of us are using: http://www.amazon.com/Sunbeam-2013-912-XpressHeat-Heating-Extra/dp/B005NZ66KU/ref=sr_1_fkmr1_1?s=hpc&ie=UTF8&qid=1425566319&sr=1-1-fkmr1&keywords=Sunbeam+x-tra+large+heating+pad#customerReviews For fewer chicks, I used the same heating pad but I got the next size down. I was able to find mine at Walmart in that size, but not the extra large size. The critical thing is that you MUST be able to turn off that automatic shutoff feature. Otherwise you'll be running to the chicks every hour or two and turning it back on. Somewhere in the last 4-5 pages of the Mama Heating Pad in the Brooder thread someone found the Sunbeam Heating Pad without auto shut-off and it turns itself back on in case of a power outage. The only issue I see with that is that you can't fine tune the heat like you can with the ones we use. That one is High, Med, Low but the one my chicks had was digital with settings from 6 down to 1. I do urge you to spend some time on that thread. You'll find a ton of good information, videos, photos, things folks have tried that worked and those that didn't, and a lot of hints. I don't know about the coops you found - we built ours so haven't spent a lot of time perusing others. This is ours:
It's alright, mostly just random babble anyway! Aha I'll definitely check out that thread though, thanks for all your help :) Also, how few is a few? Just wondering because I think I'm somewhat in the middle? I don't quite have a tiny amount like 3 or 4 or anything but I also don't quite have a large amount like 15 or 25 or 200 or anything like that. I'm getting 9. Is that still few enough to use the smaller size or would I need to go up a size do you think? And also would I have to increase the size as the size of the cave increases or no? I'll go check out that thread though. Thanks again. :) Yours looks awesome. :) I want to build mine but I have no idea how to use anything and I forgot when I ordered them my dad's getting surgery so won't be able to help. So I may end up finding one but I don't know. Or I might have the place cut the wood and I'll just screw it together. Hardware stores do that, right? Anyway, thanks again

I feel like an expectant parent or some **** staying up and reading like 50 million books and articles and all that. Except it's chickens.

Back
Top Bottom