I finally got my girls outside!!!

ChickRex

Chirping
5 Years
May 15, 2015
Moral of the story, build your coop before you get chicks.

So I tried to do a cheap diy but awesome coop with little experience. Long story short it didn't happen and the designer (family member) quit partway through. So I bought a cheap shitty coop from the internet (plenty big for 3 chickens) and set it up in a DAY with lots of modifications to make it awesome. It's done!!!! It looks beautiful, as predator proof as it can be and the girls are finally free to scratch in the grass and get some sun everyday. I'm so happy I could sing!

I'll finish that monster coop someday but for now the girls are happy birds.

Glad you had plan #2. The BO looks like my favorite Lillie :) so, so cute.

I have seen examples of using the concrete blocks around a coop as planters, consider adding potting soil into the holes and some flowers or chicken friendly plants there?

I would love to!! I'm not 100% sure the coop is staying there but when it's permanent I'll fill it with some dirt and sunflower seeds!

I would love to!! I'm not 100% sure the coop is staying there but when it's permanent I'll fill it with some dirt and sunflower seeds!
Full sized sunflowers may be a little large? I have planters by my coop with marigolds - a handy quick treat they go crazy over. Planning to change to pansies for the fall/winter.

These are small sunflowers that only grow a couple feet high and have really small heads. They should look good! I'll look at pansy seeds too and see if I can toss some in as well. Are they perennials?

These are small sunflowers that only grow a couple feet high and have really small heads. They should look good! I'll look at pansy seeds too and see if I can toss some in as well. Are they perennials?
The small sunflowers would be great.
Pansy are annuals - at least in my area they wouldn't survive warm weather.
Would love to see what you do once you get the final home and plantings done.

Back
Top Bottom