I forgot to turn them on day 1!!!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by JustMandy, Mar 4, 2011.

1. JustMandy

JustMandy Songster

Mar 2, 2010
    [​IMG] Did I ruin all my eggs? I was so preoccupied with the temp and keeping the bator closed that I forgot to turn them at all yesterday! I set them at 8:30 am and turned them for the first time @ 7:30 this morning (so 23 hours in)

Please tell me I didn't kill all my eggs. [​IMG]

2. Heidi

Heidi Songster

Mar 18, 2007
    Northwest Michigan
    No, you didn't kill them - they will be just fine. Just don't forget from now on until day 18. [​IMG]

3. Gypsy07

Gypsy07 Songster

Feb 4, 2010
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Turning is really important. But missing one day isn't a disaster. Like Heidi says, just don't forget again!
    And good luck with your hatch.

4. al6517

al6517 Real Men can Cook

May 13, 2008
    Yeah your fine, I wouldn't give it a second thought, you can relax no harm done.

AL

5. JustMandy

JustMandy Songster

Mar 2, 2010
    Thanks for the reassurance. I'm usually obsessive about turning, temps and humidity...gah! I can't believe I forgot something so big!!

6. critterranch

critterranch Songster

Oct 1, 2010
    Red Creek, New York
    i dont turn mine until 24hrs in bator. everything should be fine.

7. monino

monino Hatching

Nov 10, 2010
    i was reading here in that they need to be turn 3 times a day. do they go bad if i turn them every 9 hours. i dont get up on time turn them every six hours [​IMG]

8. FireTigeris

FireTigeris Tyger! Tyger! burning bright

Quote:turn and odd number of times every day, or they will be 'cooking' on the same side every night. (I turn every time I go to the room and every morning and night so 3 or 5 times a day)

Turning evens out 'cooking side' and keeps the embryo from getting stuck to one place on the shell- the hot spots or areas on an egg can cause growth problems (too fast where its hot, to slow where its cool) leading to deformities.

9. farmerChef

farmerChef Songster

Nov 18, 2010
    Southern Georgia
    My Coop
    By turning the eggs you are excersising the embryo and you also have less chance of an embryo from sticking to the side, I think some people don't turn the eggs, or I'll seen other people post. Also, by turning the eggs 3x(or 1x) a day, the embryo doesn't sit one the same side every night.

10. monino

monino Hatching

Nov 10, 2010
    so as long they dont stay on the same side every night they are good it is ok to turn them every 7 hours. thanks every one this is a very helpful community thanks. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: