I found a way around my leg shuffling rooster......................

I've tried this method, many times.

You need to do it every time he attacks you, for longer if he continues.
Then, try gently picking up some of his ladies and showing him your friendly, let him and others eat out of you hand, and move him gently away with a broom if he attacks. I'm sorry, your method is unkind, and cruel. Also dangerous for him, not a good idea.
@Chicalina has good suggestions for roosters.
You used to raise gamecocks and you’re just now coming up with ways to handle a laying breed rooster? Oh ok. 👍
I raised them when I was young, I lived near a sugar planation at a time when chicken fights and betting occurred every week end. It eventually became organized and was curtailed with indictments and raids. This is a time where we could buy chicken fighting knives at our local neighborhood hard ware store.

Last edited:
You need to do it every time he attacks you, for longer if he continues.
Then, try gently picking up some of his ladies and showing him your friendly, let him and others eat out of you hand, and move him gently away with a broom if he attacks. I'm sorry, your method is unkind, and cruel. Also dangerous for him, not a good idea.
@Chicalina has good suggestions for roosters.
Hanging them upside down and wacking their head with your hand is worst, but it also works.

I raised them when I was young, I lived near a sugar planation at a time when chicken fights and betting occurred every week end. It eventually became organized and was curtailed with indictments and raids. This is a time where we could buy chicken fighting knives at our local neighborhood hard ware store.
I’m impressed. Good luck with your rooster.

This can be dangerous to the birds, compresses their organs, especially air sacks.

absolutely; I don't recommend it.

While it CAN be unhealthy to hang the bird upside down, if the next step for OP is culling him- I fail to see how explaining the dangers of holding upside down without offering any other proven method would be beneficial....

While it CAN be unhealthy to hang the bird upside down, if the next step for OP is culling him- I fail to see how explaining the dangers of holding upside down without offering any other proven method would be beneficial....
Negatives sometimes aren't paired with positives.

Because there yet WAY better ways. If this was the only way, I get it, but its not. Other ways like not hurting the bird or endangering it take longer, but for the birds sake, its worth it.
Please opt for a better approach.

Because there yet WAY better ways. If this was the only way, I get it, but its not. Other ways like not hurting the bird or endangering it take longer, but for the birds sake, its worth it.
Please opt for a better approach.

Oh, I don’t use this method either, I was simply trying to point out that not offering different solutions did not seem helpful to someone that sounded ready to cull if the situation did not improve quickly. Sorry if it came across wrong.

Oh, I don’t use this method either, I was simply trying to point out that not offering different solutions did not seem helpful to someone that sounded ready to cull if the situation did not improve quickly. Sorry if it came across wrong.
I get what your saying now, but I think that if this this member is willing to go through the hassle of holding the thing my the legs, they will hopefully change strategies.

I get what your saying now, but I think that if this this member is willing to go through the hassle of holding the thing my the legs, they will hopefully change strategies.
I did it only a few times and he did not hang up side down for more than a few seconds. I put a leg cord on him for two days in the am and pet him often through the day, then I let him loose in the after noon. I don't have a problem with my rooster anymore.

Back
Top Bottom