I found eggs!

jowilt

Chirping
11 Years
Dec 23, 2012
How long is it safe to keep an egg after it is laid, n not found? I found a nest of 14 eggs this morning in a cardboard box in the hay bales. I've seen some chickens wandering around on the bales n I've been on the look out for eggs. There was a box there that they were milling around so I put hay in it, but no eggs. I have a box set just off side of the bales that I throw the string in from the bales when I cut them open; this morning I saw a chicken lounging in there so I checked - n to my surprise, 14 eggs!!! I don't think they r too older, maybe a few days, n weathers been cool. How long can I safety keep them?

The water test does not always tell the whole story. It only tells how big the air cell is, and may be an indication of the age of the egg. After the water test, you can then crack it into a bowl. If it passes the visual and smell test, then it should be fine to use. I toss eggs that are found in out of the way places if they are obviously water stained.

The water test does not always tell the whole story. It only tells how big the air cell is, and may be an indication of the age of the egg. After the water test, you can then crack it into a bowl. If it passes the visual and smell test, then it should be fine to use. I toss eggs that are found in out of the way places if they are obviously water stained.
Yes but it is a start

welcome-byc.gif

I don't float test my eggs, most of them will float if they're a week or so old. But they're still perfectly edible. I store my eggs on the counter in my cool-ish kitchen, and when I put some on to boil, a lot of them stand on end. I cook them and we eat them and they're just fine.

Agree with LG, crack them into a separate bowl when you go to use them. Eggs aren't shy about being bad, if they are they'll let you know. They'll either look off---runny, discolored, etc or smell bad. If they look and smell fine, you're good to go.

I found a nest with 15 eggs in it a month or so ago. I kept them in a separate carton and broke them into a small cup before I used them. If they looked and smelled good I ate them. I would think that because it is winter and cold outside you should be ok eating them.
I ate all 15 of those eggs. My EE is being a good girl and now laying in the nesting box.

I don't float them either. I just crack them into a separate bowl. As Donrae said, when they sit on the counter for a week or so, they're going to float even if they are edible.

welcome-byc.gif

I don't float test my eggs, most of them will float if they're a week or so old. But they're still perfectly edible. I store my eggs on the counter in my cool-ish kitchen, and when I put some on to boil, a lot of them stand on end. I cook them and we eat them and they're just fine.

Agree with LG, crack them into a separate bowl when you go to use them. Eggs aren't shy about being bad, if they are they'll let you know. They'll either look off---runny, discolored, etc or smell bad. If they look and smell fine, you're good to go.
Ditto the Welcome and the advice.

I don't float them either. I just crack them into a separate bowl. As Donrae said, when they sit on the counter for a week or so, they're going to float even if they are edible.
Same here.

Floating is a wide spread but not-so-accurate 'wives tale'.
I cringe to think of all the perfectly good eggs wasted because they floated.

Back
Top Bottom