I found her! Update: Moving didn't go too well... Update # 2....

Quote:
Where is Schulenburg? Glad you got some rain. After being way too wet early this summer, we haven't had measurable rain since July. Hard on the crops....

Schulenburg is this little Texas town with 2,752 or so residents, almost exactly halfway between San Antonio and Houston, just off I-10. We are really struggling with finding enough hay to feed our critters. Where are you?

You still have the hen though. And I've heard that sometimes as long as the eggs don't remain cold "too long" (though I don't know how long that is) that they can still hatch and that it adds a day or three to the incubation period. I don't know, it's just something I read.

Yes, I do still have the hen. That's something. Hoping she goes broody again in the spring. I have two theories - #1 - My grandma told me that some broodies just don't move well, especially if they're young. This was her first time being broody. #2 - Something spooked her off the nest. I went in the shed to clean out and dispose of the eggs and most of them were scattered around, with holes in the middle of them looks like the work of a cat. So I'm wondering if whatever got the eggs last night (they were all still in the crate the day the hen ran out of the shed, so they didn't get eaten the night I moved her) maybe got in the night I put her there and scared her. Either way, lesson learned. I need to find a way to either secure the hen where I find it or figure out a smoother way to transfer. Thanks, everyone, for your support. I appreciate it.

Back
Top Bottom