I gave my chicken a new home and now she isn't laying- any suggestions?

maurap

In the Brooder
7 Years
May 22, 2012
My 17 month old hen was 'outcasted' by her flock (we thought she was sick but she wasn't); we put her in a cage in garage so the flock would stop picking on her; and then found her a new home. She was laying eggs daily in her cage in the garage. She hasn't layed an egg in her new home and it has been over a month! Her new home is free ranging with another chicken and she seems happy. The 2 hens stay in their garage at night. They do not have a coop except the garage. Do you think that is why she isn't laying? B/c she has no nesting box or coop? I wasn't sure what to tell the new owners. Their other chicken is younger and not laying either.

My 17 month old hen was 'outcasted' by her flock (we thought she was sick but she wasn't); we put her in a cage in garage so the flock would stop picking on her; and then found her a new home. She was laying eggs daily in her cage in the garage. She hasn't layed an egg in her new home and it has been over a month! Her new home is free ranging with another chicken and she seems happy. The 2 hens stay in their garage at night. They do not have a coop except the garage. Do you think that is why she isn't laying? B/c she has no nesting box or coop? I wasn't sure what to tell the new owners. Their other chicken is younger and not laying either.
I would guess she's hiding her eggs. Find out if her comb is red and plump or pale and thin. If it's red and plump, then I'd vote for hiding her eggs--she's laying them somewhere.

She also could be moulting. It's the right time of year for it. Same thing with the other hen.

Last edited:
Chickens hate change, so moving her to a new home would disrupt her egg production. Being that it has been a month now, and still no eggs, I would say she has probably started molting.

I just heard from them today and she layed her 1st egg! I feel so awful that we had to find her a new home but the other chickens were attacking her. Speaking of molting, my chickens are molting and I haven't had an egg in over a week! We have 3 laying hens and 2 are almost feather-less! They are about 18 months old and this is my 1st experience with molting. Our rooster even lost his beautifult ail feathers! How long will this last and when will we get eggs again? They continue to free range and seem happy but I'm worried b/c its getting cold at night!

You will get eggs again when they are finished molting. They need all their protein stores to grow in new feathers. (feathers are mostly protein) Once they get all their feathers back in, then they have to get their weight back to a healthy level before they can start laying again. Average from start to finish in my flock is about 3 months. Some molt a bit quicker, and some slower.

3 months??? Wow! I thought 3 weeks! And how often do they molt? Every Fall? Thank you for the information!

You will get eggs again when they are finished molting. They need all their protein stores to grow in new feathers. (feathers are mostly protein) Once they get all their feathers back in, then they have to get their weight back to a healthy level before they can start laying again. Average from start to finish in my flock is about 3 months. Some molt a bit quicker, and some slower.
I agree. : )

3 months??? Wow! I thought 3 weeks! And how often do they molt? Every Fall? Thank you for the information!
A hard moult every fall, a mild moult every spring. You can get them through it faster by making sure they have plenty of protein. I feed a high-protein broiler feed instead of my standard layer pellets during moult.

Back
Top Bottom