i got 27 free chickens today but dont know the breed

Thank you for the information. We live in central Michigan. i was thinking this weekend ill turn on the light in there (75 watt bulb in a brooder light). im probably going to put it a couple feet above the water pan to keep it from freezing when the cold front moves out (hopefully next week) till them ill just keep the heater on low. next spring im building a perminate coop and run/ chicken tractor. the run is going to be totaly enclosed due to the hawks and owls we have around here. the people we got them from said this was their first year laying and they were all laying 1 egg per day till the snow hit. (they didnt have any lights or heat out in the coop) i know they dont need heat to lay eggs or survive im just heating it to ensure their water supply dosen't freeze up.

Why did the people get 27 hens and then get rid of them after their first laying season? Were they free or did you buy them?

the people are an elderly couple and couldnt walk out to feed them in the winter. the man that gave them to me is having surgery next week. i got them for free. if they do as well as i hope im going to get a rooster next year so that i may breed them.

the people are an elderly couple and couldnt walk out to feed them in the winter. the man that gave them to me is having surgery next week. i got them for free. if they do as well as i hope im going to get a rooster next year so that i may breed them.

I see. Well, you got a very good deal.

You should be able to find a White Leghorn rooster fairly easily. Or do you plan to get a different breed of rooster?

i think for just starting out ill keep with the same breed of rooster. ill dabble at cross breeding later when im more experienced. here are some pics i took today. you can see a couple are molting.

i think for just starting out ill keep with the same breed of rooster. ill dabble at cross breeding later when im more experienced. here are some pics i took today. you can see a couple are molting.

California White is not a breed. It is a hybrid. As I mentioned before, a California White is created by crossing a California Gray rooster and a White Leghorn hen.

If you breed two California Whites they will not breed true. You would probably see more of the California Gray traits come through in some chicks.

So, no matter what rooster you use you will be cross breeding. But if you can get a California White rooster you can breed that also.

well round 4 or 5 days ago i posted about getting my first flock of 27 California Whites. We have been getting between 5 and 6 eggs every day
celebrate.gif
and to my surprise i collected a brown egg today.
ep.gif
(that was an awesome surprise). Can any one tell me if the California Grey lays brown eggs?
thumbsup.gif

well round 4 or 5 days ago i posted about getting my first flock of 27 California Whites. We have been getting between 5 and 6 eggs every day
celebrate.gif
and to my surprise i collected a brown egg today.
ep.gif
(that was an awesome surprise). Can any one tell me if the California Grey lays brown eggs?
thumbsup.gif

No, both California Grays and California Whites lay white eggs.

Maybe you have at least one white chicken that is another type of chicken.

You should be getting more than 5 or 6 eggs a day from 27 California Whites. But it is winter, and some hens seem to be molting. Are you using light now?

In the spring you should get about 20 eggs per day.

Last edited:
Hiya Bullitt,

yes i have the lights on in there now, i started that the other day. i collected 8 eggs in all yesterday. 3 in the morning 3 in the afternoon and 2 last night. im looking around for a place that sells egg production supplies also. ( any clue for a good place to look?) they are eating a lil more now also since ive been keeping a light on in there at night. this spring im building a mini barn that will hold 2 growing pens ( with room to install more), and a heated brooding room. it will have an off grid power system for the power, along with a barrel stove (in its owns separate room where the feed will be stored also). lots to do this summer yet

Hiya Bullitt,

yes i have the lights on in there now, i started that the other day. i collected 8 eggs in all yesterday. 3 in the morning 3 in the afternoon and 2 last night. im looking around for a place that sells egg production supplies also. ( any clue for a good place to look?) they are eating a lil more now also since ive been keeping a light on in there at night. this spring im building a mini barn that will hold 2 growing pens ( with room to install more), and a heated brooding room. it will have an off grid power system for the power, along with a barrel stove (in its owns separate room where the feed will be stored also). lots to do this summer yet

Yeah, it seems you are in the egg business.

You asked for a place that sells egg production supplies. Do you mean eggs cartons?
http://www.eggcartonstore.com/

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom