I got a white peachick hatching YAHHHHHHHHHH

chickenzoo

Emu Hugger
14 Years
Mar 10, 2008
a bumpy dirt road in Florida
Come on babies ! I have 4 whites and 1 Java, so far one white is pipping...... these were shipped eggs...... come on come on.......
pop.gif
fl.gif

I'm keeping my fingers crossed and nose pressed to the "window" too. I've got 6 peafowl eggs and 24 guineas in the bators (today is d25). One of the guinea eggs is already starting to pip!

Oh Please Please tell us how they all are, and how the hatching went. I learn something new everytime I get overly involved in the hatchings :/MarlaKaye

Well I don't think the shipping went well on these this time. i normally get good hatches from this seller, and they are only a few hours away from me. I lost the first white chick, it's head was huge and was very weak. I have 2 other whites, but I had to help out. They are of course having some trouble standing. The other white didn't hatch, I could see the veins in the egg, but it looks like it must have stopped developing at some point. My Java didn't hatch, and when opened the chick was 1/2 size sitting on top of a very very big egg sack. All the air cells on these eggs were wavy..... So I hope these 2 whites will get stronger.... I just had one of my IB hatch out today, perfectly fine, same bator. So shipping was just rough. Poor babies, I'm so disappointed, I was hoping to have some girls for my boys later.........
sad.png

Sorry to hear about this bad result
hugs.gif
. This is the worst year for buying hatching eggs ever - USPS is killer for them
somad.gif
!

chickenzoo , not sure that sound like a shipping problem, fully form then dying ? Most problem from shipped eggs happen when they dont form, or dye first few days.

Double check everything with incubator, just because one IB hatch doesn't prove everything was ok.

What you have is one of the big problems most people have when hatching peafowl eggs. Just one reason peafowl eggs are hard to hatch.

something I did to help this.

1. start eggs under a broody hen for a week.
2. lay eggs on their side and hand turn ,also using auto turner.(qgf sportsman)
3. raised the humidity last 3 days.

All these has help ,I dont lose near as many after they pip.

Thank you for that advice, I will double check everything again. I normally have some broody turkeys this time of year, but no such luck right now.... only a broody Silkie. I hatched 10 IB peachicks of my own right before these and one right after without problems... I have a Dicky cabinet incubator, and normally have great success with it. All the peafowl I put in it last year hatched w/o problems also... but I am no were near an expert on hatching them, just lucky sometimes. All of the eggs that were shipped had very wavy air cells from the beginning, I kept an eye on them every time I candled.
The two white ones seem to have perked up and are now standing on their own looking around, so hopefully I will have at least these two to enjoy.

Back
Top Bottom