I got carried away on ebay!

Painted Spirit

Songster
10 Years
Oct 18, 2009
Okay, I'm a first time hatcher and wanted to fill up the new bator. Unfortunately I'm not good at math sometimes! Got some great deals on ebay thinking that my bator holds 50 eggs. Okay, I forgot the turner only holds 42, duh! I got plenty of extras and only 1 visibly cracked. Can I "stack" a few around the edges of the turner and rotate them with inside ones every day until I candle them on day 7 to chuck out the bad ones? Guess I got too eggscited!

If you have a still air, and stack them around the edges they will be closer to the heating element and higher up. More than likely they would get to warm.

With shipped eggs you will probably lose enough to fit them in, but the problem is knowing which ones will not develop.

Good luck, as I don't know the solution for you on this without buying another bator, or making one.

I have lined the edges up in bators before-all with fans.It works fine until you can candle some out..or give yourself an excuse to buy a second one and fill that one up as well
big_smile.png

I've got a little reprieve! One of the senders isn't shipping until next week and anothers hens' has slowed down and can't ship right now - works for me! by next week I can candle and downsize enough I'm sure to fit those in and I asked the one who's slowed to send them next month. Now to convice my DH I need a second bator to hatch the first ones while the later ones rotate.....maybe I can find someone close to borrow their bator to incubate while I use mine to hatch....

Either way I've got a second load almost full. I must stay off ebay, I must stay off ebay, I must stay off ebay!

I can not wait to do this in the spring.
I have to ask though, what do you do with all of these chicks? You can not possibly be keeping them ALL!!

For us, suitable birds will be breeders and layers, the culls will be much appreciated Sunday dinners. I want to keep breeds apart so no cross-breeding except for some on purposes. The birds we already have are keeping the barn area pests down - I'll let these free range on different days.

Back
Top Bottom