I Got Impaled by a Hawk While Saving my Chicken!

Fishkeeper

Crowing
Oct 30, 2017
Central Texas
I think that picture is a ptarmigan taking off. Those don't look like rabbit tracks, and see the really deep part right in front of the wing prints? It looks like the bird jumped, leaving that deep spot, beat its wings down once, hit its feet against the sand once more and left that next set of prints, beat its wings again and left that final wingprint, and flew away. I've seen a few other pics like that.

WhoDatChick

Crossing the Road
Sep 6, 2018
Nawlins, Louisiana
I think that picture is a ptarmigan taking off. Those don't look like rabbit tracks, and see the really deep part right in front of the wing prints? It looks like the bird jumped, leaving that deep spot, beat its wings down once, hit its feet against the sand once more and left that next set of prints, beat its wings again and left that final wingprint, and flew away. I've seen a few other pics like that.
I think that’s snow:confused:... but you may be right.. if you zoom in on the tracks it look like the big claw marks! COOL!!

Nifty-Chicken

Administrator
Staff member
13 Years
Dec 26, 2006
California - SF East Bay
My Coop
My Coop
Hopefully you traumatized it just enough to discourage it from returning.
Good point! We keep wondering if it's flying around looking for another chance, or has moved on for easier targets.

We were just talking yesterday how we wished it would be more aggressive about grabbing all the tons of squirrels around!

Top Bottom