I got my Ameraucanas

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Sebrightmom, Aug 6, 2008.

1. Sebrightmom

Sebrightmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2008
    Greencastle, IN
    I went yesterday morning and got nine hens and two roosters. These are beautiful birds. I got them from a couple that shows them. The hens just started laying eggs. I can't wait to get my first egg. The roosters aren't being good friends. So, I had to put one of them is a cage. I will be making him his pen with his own girls. Here are a few pics of them.
    I like the rooster that is in the cage better, but I am new to picking out the better rooster.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. SamG347

SamG347 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2007
    PA
    That is a great starter flock! Yes I would say weed out the birds you dont feel are the BEST of the BEST and then add new stock. But it is completely up to you....Are you planning on venturing into more colors of Ameraucana? You should get some Blues and Splashes for that flock!
    GOOD LUCK!
    [​IMG]

3. Shaffer

Shaffer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2008
    Tamaqua, NE Pa
    Sebrightmom,
    I would put the best male with the best 2 or 3 females and see how the chicks mature. I would not cut myself short and sell the other male incase something happens to the one and only male you have. Males are easy to buy until you really need one for breeding season. They look very nice. I hope you intend to join the Ameraucana club. HS

4. Sebrightmom

Sebrightmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2008
    Greencastle, IN
    I am new to the Ameraucanas. I am trying to learn everything I can. I do want to add as many colors as I can. I love the different colors. I am not sure how to go about it. It took me months to find this breeder close to me. I only had to drive 1 1/2 hours to get them. I would love to find someone with different colors that I could buy some from. How do I go about joining the Ameraucana club? My little sister and mother raise the bantam Ameraucanas. I believe they would love to join, too. I know the pictures aren't the best, but which do you think is the best rooster.

5. sara

sara Title Needed Here

To join the Ameraucana club go to http://www.ameraucana.org/ There is a link on there.

If you get other colors you will need to keep them seperate or you will just be breeding easter eggers. That is unless you get blue. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by