I got my Ameraucanas

Sebrightmom

Songster
11 Years
Jun 26, 2008
Greencastle, IN
I went yesterday morning and got nine hens and two roosters. These are beautiful birds. I got them from a couple that shows them. The hens just started laying eggs. I can't wait to get my first egg. The roosters aren't being good friends. So, I had to put one of them is a cage. I will be making him his pen with his own girls. Here are a few pics of them.
I like the rooster that is in the cage better, but I am new to picking out the better rooster.

That is a great starter flock! Yes I would say weed out the birds you dont feel are the BEST of the BEST and then add new stock. But it is completely up to you....Are you planning on venturing into more colors of Ameraucana? You should get some Blues and Splashes for that flock!
GOOD LUCK!
smile.png

Sebrightmom,
I would put the best male with the best 2 or 3 females and see how the chicks mature. I would not cut myself short and sell the other male incase something happens to the one and only male you have. Males are easy to buy until you really need one for breeding season. They look very nice. I hope you intend to join the Ameraucana club. HS

I am new to the Ameraucanas. I am trying to learn everything I can. I do want to add as many colors as I can. I love the different colors. I am not sure how to go about it. It took me months to find this breeder close to me. I only had to drive 1 1/2 hours to get them. I would love to find someone with different colors that I could buy some from. How do I go about joining the Ameraucana club? My little sister and mother raise the bantam Ameraucanas. I believe they would love to join, too. I know the pictures aren't the best, but which do you think is the best rooster.

Back
Top Bottom