I got my babies today!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by CarrieW, May 25, 2011.

1. CarrieW

CarrieW Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2010
    Durango, CO
    My babies from Meyer arrived today. 4 were DOA, but the rest seem to be thriving. This is my third year with baby chicks, but I'm as excited as I was my first year, I just love them. Here they are, will get more pics later, and maybe you guys can help me figure out what some of them are, I got the all pullet rainbow pack, along with some Black Copper Marans and some bantams.

[​IMG]

2. BCBunnies

BCBunnies Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2011
    Aww soo cute! I can't wait til tomorrow I get to pick up my chickie babies not quite so many though. The one in the middle looks neon yellow like it was sprayed with food coloring or something, but that's probably just the light altering the color right?

3. CarrieW

Apr 12, 2010
    Durango, CO
    LOL I didn't even notice that, yes, it's the heat lamp. But wouldn't it be cool if chicks came in neon?

4. Justhatched

Justhatched Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2011
    They are all so cute!

5. mcf3kids

mcf3kids Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2011
    Adorable! That is a lot of chicks! I got 24 and I thought it was a lot - what will you have them all in one brooder? Curious what your set up will look like once they are more active and flitty in a week. Mine are 2 weeks old and I am wondering if this 3 ft x 6 ft brooder will make it another week with them.

6. stcroixusvi

stcroixusvi Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2011
    Western NC
    My Coop
    Quote:I am curious too. Mine fly/hop out of the brooder the minute I open the screen. And my coop is not finished, yet.

7. terrilhb

terrilhb Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2010
    Georgia
    How adorable. Congratulations.

8. AlienChick

AlienChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2010
    Glasgow, KY
    They are so cute and tiny. [​IMG]

I miss that age!

I had 23 at one time all kept in a 2x4 dog crate brooder inside the house.

I moved them out to a homemade 2.5 x 5 ft pvc pipe brooder when they were about 4 weeks old.

They stayed there till the coop was mostly finished when they were 8 weeks old.

I can't wait for next Spring baby-chick time so I can do it all again!

[​IMG]

9. Chickencoop1996

Chickencoop1996 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2011
    southern nh
    [​IMG]

10. CarrieW

Apr 12, 2010
    Durango, CO
    They are in a kiddy swimming pool with a cardboard shield around it. 12 of them are going to their new home tomorrow, so there won't be that many in there. When the get a little bigger, I have a big piece of chicken wire that goes over the top. They do pretty well in there for about 5 weeks, then they will move out to thier own coop with the heat lamp. I live in the mountains, so it gets chilly here at night. On a sad note, another bantam passed away last night. I've never had them before, are they really that fragile?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by