I got my first egg! EVER!

Quote:
I'm with you on this! We got our three girls on 4/9 and they move into their new coop tonight! I'm surprised at how much I've become obsessed over keeping them happy. I still have a little more work with the run but should have it fully enclosed by next week, save the corrugated roofing, which I only have the important half up at the moment. I've been living/breathing chickens for the past 3 months and look forward for more to come
smile.png

Congrats on your first egg and your soon-to-be-born baby boy
ya.gif
I know, isn't it a great feeling after all that hard work, effort and $$$ to see a payoff?

I love this quote of yours:
I became rapidly obsessed and the chickens became an intense hobby for me.

I totally get that, I went from 10 chickens last year to 35 (plus, meaties) this year...
lol.png

Congrats on your first egg, and congrats on your wife's pregnancy!! You'd better be more excited with the baby or you're in the dog house
wink.png
, but I totally understand your excitement with the first egg. I bought my chicks March 16th so now I'm excited that I may be getting eggs from my chicks anytime now too.... What breed are your new egg layers??
big_smile.png
I'll be checking the coop every couple of hours now, its all your fault!
duc.gif

Last edited:
woot.gif

Awesome! My first egg caused the about the same reaction for me, too! (and my grandparents had a farm when I was kid!)

Congratulations on your first egg!
wee.gif
I have 6 RIR (one being a roo) and 6 Buff O's. I bought them at 3 days old on April 22, so they are 10 weeks old. I don't know when to expect my first egg. Can anyone with experience with my 2 breeds tell me about when to expect eggs? Reason I'm asking is...I haven't built my coop yet. I have them in a totally enclosed wire run and free range them during the day, but I thought I had plenty of time...my roo hasn't even started crowing yet. They are just now starting to make more 'adult' chicken noises instead of the 'peeping' noises they have been making. I know when I get that first egg I am going to be pretty spastic!
yippiechickie.gif

Well, thanks all for your replies to my post. A couple of answers for you that were asked...I have 4 each of BO, RIR and BR. I am now getting five or six eggs a day and new "first eggs" are among them about every third day. The first egg happened at about 15.5 weeks and they are running strong now. I even got two double-yolkers from my RIRs the other day. It's been a while since I posted, because Mrs. ChickenLeo had our baby on Saturday the 3rd of July. VERY healthy 8lb6oz, 21.5in little boy. Been very busy since then. We got to the hospital at 6:30pm, baby boy was screamin' bloody murder by 7:50pm the same night. Talk about cutting it close. This daddy was a nervous wreck all the way to the hospital, but at least momma got her chicken strips on the way! lol Thank you all for all your well-wishes.

Back
Top Bottom