I got my Gamefowl fix for the day!!

Illia

Crazy for Colors
10 Years
Oct 19, 2009
Forks, WA
So, as some of you know, I don't have gamefowl but have always wanted some. Well, I've known that a neighbor of mine just so happens to have some Orientals that they don't know much about, and neither do my relatives who spend time at their house all the time. (I'm the chicken one of the family)

Well, finally I get to go meet them and their chickens today.
ya.gif
The guy who takes care of them wanted his eggs that a couple broodies are sitting on to be candled, and I'm the only one around who knows how to do it, and can spot a quitter from a fertile or bloodring on even the first several days. So, off I go!! I was very excited, and brought only two things - A high powered flashlight and my trusty good camera.
smile.png

When I came there, I finally got to see the chickens. . . They were Thais!!
ep.gif
There was the main roo, who was quite nice looking except for the excessive white in his tail, a second younger crossbred stag, his black girls, and a couple crossbred hens who were a sort of mock-wheaten color. The owner said they were RIR crosses. I fell in love.
smile.png
Then, the real fun began. . . I'm gonna fess up and admit here, I've never handled a broody hen, but I've known from plenty of stories and videos how they are. Except Oriental Gamefowl.

I came into the coop, and there were three different nesting boxes of broodies. The first had two girls on it. The guy said to just scare them off, but honestly I didn't want to do that, as I have no clue how soon they'll come back. So, I did the brave and maybe stupid deed of candling eggs while a ferocious Thai hen was over them. One thing is certain - They're GOOD moms!! This girl was nasty - She first gave me warnings, and started to puff up and nip at me. I still grabbed eggs, candled them, then put them back, so she took it further - She began to grab my skin, then tear, rip, and twist at it! My have I never heard of such a defensive broody! She was scary! The second one next to her just hunkered down though. Finally, after much breaking of my skin, tearing of my hands and arms, she gave up and flew out. Now it was the second hen's turn. . . Turns out ALL of the girls put up a REALLY good fight except for one, who just plain flew out and started screaming up a song.

In the end it was great fun. A couple of my fingers were bleeding, and I found that hardly any of their eggs were infertile or bad, and I also found that eggs under broody hens seem to develop a little more differently than in the incubator. I certainly can't wait to have my own broodies!!

Before I left, I had a nice chat with the guy about his chickens, what to look for in breeding them if he wants to go for the standard, and also about the history of where he got them from and how their breedings have gone from there. Despite the definite crossbreeding of the new stag with his evident huge cushion comb and large waddles, the older rooster was gorgeous, and so were the black hens.
love.gif

Just had to share my story. . . Now some pics.
smile.png

4544409659_138673cc68_o.jpg

4545041818_83e2510281_o.jpg

4545044438_6d03c3e13f_o.jpg

Last edited:
Those are some neat looking birds, for some reason, they remind me of basket ball players. You should totally get a hen (or 2) from them. I have recently started to really like the game breeds, they seem very prolific and hardy.

Quote:
I was considering it, but one person tells me the hens are actually Shamo (but she knows nothing about Orientals so I think she's just trying to feel useful) and right now we don't have the space for them. We'd need a separate pen and coop, as I'm not going to risk having Oriental Gamefowl beat up my "normal" hens and roosters. . . The Brahmas can put up with it, but I don't think the rest can.

Quote:
I would actually love to know - What would you say about him, if critiquing him? I mean, it is tempting to think of getting some of his offspring, but I've been told he MAY be crossbred with an American breed. I honestly do not see it though. . .

Quote:
I would actually love to know - What would you say about him, if critiquing him? I mean, it is tempting to think of getting some of his offspring, but I've been told he MAY be crossbred with an American breed. I honestly do not see it though. . .

Honestly, with my little knowledge of Thais he could pass as a pure one with me comparing him to others I have seen. The stag in the background though, I don't like how he looks the little I can see him. You said he was crossed though didn't you?

Last edited:
Quote:

Honestly, with my little knowledge of Thais he could pass as a pure one with me comparing him to others I have seen. The stag in the background though, I don't like how he looks the little I can see him. You said he was crossed though didn't you?

Yeah pretty sure he is. This is him from the front and side. Huge cushion-like comb, large waddles, the body is a little different.

4549991240_635908b7ce.jpg

4549990030_17e8ea8775.jpg

RIR x Hens:

Top one is a Thai, next one is a cross, bottom one is an RIR cross.
4552297748_1c4af4408e.jpg

This one is an unknown cross, but suspected RIR x Thai.
4552300184_d80b49797e.jpg

This one is certainly an RIR x Thai.
4552338502_d7098a165a.jpg

I did not get broody photos, sadly. I wanted to, but didn't even think of it at the time.

The crossbred hens are a lot more "laidback" and distant. They usually spend time to themselves, same with the crossbred stag.

Back
Top Bottom