I got some meaties today!! How old? pics QUESTION post 12

jdywntr

Songster
10 Years
Oct 31, 2009
Somerville, AL
So, I had placed an order with Welp for 25 cornish cross pullets. Unfortunately due to their availability and my work schedule, I would not be able to get them until the end of March which would but processing at the end of May. In Florida, hot muggy yuckiness.

So, I woke up early today and started researching where I may be able to buy some locally. TSC is 1.5 hours away from me so that was a last resort. I found a feed store about 35 miles from me and called them to see if they had any cornish X in. They counted and said they had 16, I asked if they could hold them for me and I had to prepay over the phone (which was fine).

I assembled my brooder and headed out.

They packed them up and after counting 16 there was 1 left so I said I'd take it too. They were $2 each, so I spent a little more than I had wanted but also figure the feed store took any losses after shipping. But I got 17 babies that will be ready to process in April.

They did not remember a precise hatch date and thought they were between 1-2 weeks old. I searched on BYC and found some pics of 1.5 week olds. They are similar in size but some have kind of long wing feathers (1.5-2") and some tail feathers and others have short (.5-.75") wing feathers.

Here are pics of the different feathering. Any idea of more precise ages?

Last edited:
Sorry, cannot age them exactly - to me, they look younger than 2wks.
Perhaps if you can get a weight on some of them (average), it might help you 'age' them. I know many posts here comment on weights at various ages. Try that and see if anyone can help!

Feed store people have no ideas about how old chicks are when they get them. Since it's TSC, I'm betting they haven't had them even a week. When they get them they are 2-3 days old. So probably they're only about a week old or less.

Just call the feed store and ask them to look up when their last chicks came in. Then add 2 days.
More than one and less than two weeks looks right.

Just call the feed store and ask them to look up when their last chicks came in. Then add 2 days.
More than one and less than two weeks looks right.

They get chicks weekly and it didn't seem like they kept track of what came when. When I talked to them they said 1-2 weeks so I was guesstimating 1.5 weeks to cover that. It amazes me that for people who should be knowledgable about these things, they have no idea.
roll.png

Mine look like that at one week. Meat birds grow twice as fast as a regular chicks. You should be ready to butcher in 8-10 wks depending on the feed given. Good luck.

I just picked up 7 at Tractor Supply. I too, was thinking about doing one more batch before summer, but I really didnt want to do 25, and here in Florida it can get pretty toasty pretty quickly, especially since we've had such a mild winter.

They do grow and feather out extraordinarily fast. They do look like about a week or 10 days old.

Back
Top Bottom