I got

@aart, alas, I have always agreed with you in the past. You have given me such good advice.
I have a broody who loves me when she is sitting. I can move her, feed her, pet her. She is a great mum but when she hatches she becomes a raving lunatic. If I even get near another hen's chicks she has a hissy-fit. She calms down after the 3rd or 4th week or so. Then I start handling the chicks and bribing them with treats.
Hopefully the OP has a calmer hen.
I Definitely agree with you, you do need to be able to handle all your chickens.
I wish, she was over a year old when I got her and was free range with no human contact and panicked so much she hid her head in between corners and that was the beginning of June and we were making progress and then she got broody and I was able to stroke her back since she wouldn’t move but when I gave her the fertile eggs I was afraid of panicking her I didn’t want her to crush the eggs or kick the chicks out at this point so I’m purely observing just to be on the safe side I’m working on the others but when they’re close enough I’ll go to touch them and they back away and know exactly what I’m trying to do and will walk away:/

With a broody on the nest just gently stroke her waddles, she may nip you but stay calm.
Doing this a couple times a day for short duration, just a few minutes at most, and she will get used to you touching her, then you can gently lift her breast up to peek at eggs.
Ah well she has chicks so I feel like she might ‘nip’ a little harder than usual I wish her beak wasn’t so sharp !

Back
Top Bottom