I gots a new couple of turkeys...what are we?

spish

De Regenboog Kippetjes
13 Years
Apr 7, 2010
Belgium
I got a beautiful couple of turkeys yesterday......they are stunning :) But the people were'nt sure what they were? they bought them last year as chicks but can no longer look after them due to ill health, so the turkeys came to me!

I have ronquieres turkeys here already (similar to RP's) and these two are bigger than those!

Based on the tail feathers my guess is that the tom is not a pure bred Bourbon Red but definitely is a high percentage Bourbon Red. The hen is most likely a bourbon red cross. Years ago I raised a Bourbon Red/BBW cross which turned into a very beautiful tom that looked very similar to a Bronze turkey. I doubt that the hen is a cross from a white turkey.

what a shame....im guessing they will still breed though even if they are crosses right? can perhaps raise the poults as meat birds then....?

Quote:
what a shame....im guessing they will still breed though even if they are crosses right? can perhaps raise the poults as meat birds then....?

Unless you specifically want pure bred birds, there is nothing wrong with breeding them and raising their chicks. It may be very interesting to see what results you get. They should do well since you should get hybrid vigor from their offspring. They are very pretty to me.

As far as raising the poults for meat birds, the fastest growing hen poult that I had last year was a cross between a Blue Slate and a Royal Palm. It was hard to distinguish her from a Blue Slate if it wasn't for the few scattered white feathers and her final size since she was much larger than my mature Blus Slate hens.

Enjoy your turkeys.

The tom also appear Bourbon Red or mostly Bourbon Red to me. The hen may be a Bourbon Red crosses with something else or maybe a Buff. Mixed breed turkeys sell surprisingly well you never really know what you will end up with and sometimes they and up more colorful than the purebred birds. Not a lot of people show birds and that would be the main purpose for having purebreds in my opinion. We don't have any purebred pairs on our farm but they sure make some interesting looking poults and haven't had an issue finding them homes.

Quote:

Unless you specifically want pure bred birds, there is nothing wrong with breeding them and raising their chicks. It may be very interesting to see what results you get. They should do well since you should get hybrid vigor from their offspring. They are very pretty to me.

As far as raising the poults for meat birds, the fastest growing hen poult that I had last year was a cross between a Blue Slate and a Royal Palm. It was hard to distinguish her from a Blue Slate if it wasn't for the few scattered white feathers and her final size since she was much larger than my mature Blus Slate hens.

Enjoy your turkeys.
Is this supposed to be a picture of the hen you're refering to? That's not a hen, all tom.

Back
Top Bottom