I guess this is a cockerel! Thoughts?

ginznchix

Songster
11 Years
Sep 27, 2010
South Jersey
I've had my doubts about this silver laced wyandotte "pullet" from just a few weeks old because she/he got red in the face very early. Now at 13-14 weeks this really looks like a cockerel doesn't it? Big legs, suddenly getting bigger than everybody else, getting some longer feathers in. Darn I don't need another rooster! What do you think? Thanks!
IMG_5541.JPG
IMG_5536.JPG
IMG_5534.JPG

Off the topic (sorry), but I wonder what effect sexing birds at hatching in order to sell pullets is having on roosters exactly... When ones that are incorrectly sexed (because there anatomy may be more ambiguous) survive and are sold, but ones that are correctly sexed most likely die, aren't we actually artificially selecting for males with ambiguous anatomy? Unless, of course, the hatchery just throws them in there anyway, on purpose...

Off the topic (sorry), but I wonder what effect sexing birds at hatching in order to sell pullets is having on roosters exactly... When ones that are incorrectly sexed (because there anatomy may be more ambiguous) survive and are sold, but ones that are correctly sexed most likely die, aren't we actually artificially selecting for males with ambiguous anatomy? Unless, of course, the hatchery just throws them in there anyway, on purpose...
Good point, you're right. When I get "packing peanuts" I figure they're giving away chicks they know are male, but in cases like this, this chick probably looked female. I'm not going to use him for breeding, but I'm sure others do.

Back
Top Bottom