I had a visitor......long!!

One thing I would be concerned about is--what, after you get the extra birds, raise them etc., that these people decide NOT to buy them?? Then what? You need to think about what you will do IF that happens. Just make sure to cover all your angles...JMO

As someone else mentioned, what if someone agrees to buy a bird and then backs out? I would take a small non-refundable deposit until you get to know the customer. Chances are that someone else would probably end up buying the extra bird and put it in their freezer, so you won't actually lose anything.

If this lady really has ALOT of friends, I would look into having the birds done professionally at a packaging facility. You might be able to do a larger volume of business and limit the governmental interference and regulation. Not dealing with the government is often worth paying for!

My local farmer's market had organic chicken for sale for $8/lb, which seems outrageous to me. For comparison I pay $5-6 per pound for ground bison, goat or grassfed beef, and about the same for ham, bacon and pork sausage and eggs are $3.50-4 a dozen. I think you should charge a minimum of what a live bird would cost in your area, here its $7-12. Alot of small processors seem to charge about a buck a bird, which you could add to your price.

mom'sfolly :

My local farmer's market had organic chicken for sale for $8/lb, which seems outrageous to me. For comparison I pay $5-6 per pound for ground bison, goat or grassfed beef, and about the same for ham, bacon and pork sausage and eggs are $3.50-4 a dozen. I think you should charge a minimum of what a live bird would cost in your area, here its $7-12. Alot of small processors seem to charge about a buck a bird, which you could add to your price.

Just a thought, how do you know you get your birds? They tag them?
I use to do refrigeration work for small processors/butchers, sorry to say but not all meat goes to the place it came from.​

At the community supported agriculture farm near me, I've seen free-range chaicken going for $18-$20 for one. I didn't check the weights. I know we have paid $2.49/lb for organic (not even free-range) turkey

I went to our local feed store today, and was talking to the owner...he was telling me there is an Amish farm..about 45 minutes from me...that will process them for me, for under $2.00 a bird! Now THATS what Im talking about! He is going to get me a name and number so I can check into it. Wow, that would be So great, not to have to process 100 birds, alone!

I buy eggs from a local farmer, until I get my chicks in about a month and raise them, for $1/dozen. I wish he would rasie the price because it is very hard to get to the eggs before they are all gone. That being said, I think you should price high that way the people who really want that quality of product will be happy to pay and will appricate recieving it instead of selling cheap to just anyone. I think if they raised the price of the eggs to $3/dozen they would still sell out. I would still buy from them, at least until I get my chicks raised.

Back
Top Bottom