I had my rooster "Fred" de-crowed... sad update

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:
I've decided I'm going to have to be very dedicated. My roos mostly crow in the mornings in response to the multitude of roos in the neighborhood to the south of us that were 'grandfathered' in many years ago... there are thousands of chickens over there and they really crow alot... so when our roos hear them in the morning away they go.

So, I'll be closing up the coop at nigt and waiting till later AM when most of the crowing to the south of us is done, and then I'll let him out...that or keep him in a small area inside the coop and let him out to be with the ladies every once in a while. I'm also going to try and find a vet who has a scope, Dr. Anderson does not and he uses the electrosurge blindly.

That or I'll figure out how to do it safely myself. I figure if I can do surgery on gingiva, I can do surgery on a roo.

So sorry to hear about him now making it. I was reading this thread and bam there was the sad post.

Im in the SAME place that you were. I have a beloved roo that I haveno idea what to do about if my neighbors tell on me about me having him Im done for. I will mostl likely have to get rid of all the chickens.... I just dont know what to do.
hmm.png

so sorry ot hear about this.

had the vet you used done this before?just sayin some vets think they can work on any animal(because they are a vet) when they can't.you might need to find an AG vet or maybe a university vet.

you probably could do it yourself.the sedation will be the most important part and you probably have everything you will need in the office.worth it to try if you could keep another roo.

again, sorry to hear about your beautiful boy.

I am SO sorry you lost your roo. I just rehomed 3 roosters and I do so miss them. At least I was able to keep my Silkie roo. He's much quieter and isn't so rough on my hens. He does have quite a strut though. I hope you'll be able to get the roo of your dreams.

I'm so sorry for your loss. I find it interesting that you are thinking about doing the procedure yourself. Before you even posted that you were considering it, I was thinking, "didn't I read that he is a dentist?"

I mean, I know it's not the same thing as a surgeon, but you do perform surgery on the mouth, and understand how to administer anesthesia, so I would be interested if you could figure out how to do this and maybe even improve upon it...

Keep us updated if you have any grand ideas, and, yet again, I'm sorry for your poor rooster.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom