I had my rooster "Fred" de-crowed... sad update

Status
Not open for further replies.
hugs.gif
sorry

Only folks with chickens who select and breed and care for and love them can truly understand.

Thanks to all of you for your caring and compassion.

I knew the risks. I knew it would be a wasted $140+ ($32 for the pre-surgical visit, $100 for the operation, $9 for the meds) if he passed, but I had faith it would work.

Yesterday I only saw him drink the water with the medicine once. He stood upright most of the day. I wish I would have gotten him the scrambled eggs sooner, but it probably wouldn't have made any difference.

I just had something wake me up and whisper to my soul that he was about to go and when I got to him, he had just breathed his last breath. It took me a couple of hours of mourning before I could even come in and post about it.

I haven't slept since 2AM. I'm praying that the only little purebred wheaten chick that hatched for New Years is a roo AND I'm hoping that the blue eggs I got today have a little of Fred in them so that I can get another roo as large and as beautiful as Fred was.

I'll also be setting another 18 eggs from White Mountain Ranch this week, where one of Fred's brothers (a SQ Blue Wheaten) is a daddy so all I can really do now is just look forward with faith in the future.

I've learned that I can't de-crow a roo, and hopefully everyone on BYC will have learned this lesson the easy way from me.

If I knew how to put a chicken under, I have the equipment at work where I think I could actually do the procedure myself... I have the camera, I have the electro-surge instrument... I'd just need to study chicken anatomy to know what the vocal chords looked like.

We live and learn,

Again thanks for your sympathy, it helps to know that folks care.

M

OH man!!!!!!!!!!!
hit.gif

I was so thinking I'd look in here and he'd be doing great. I'm so sorry. It was a strong thing you did though in taking the chance to get this done. I know Fred was special and i Hope your little chick is even more awesome than Fred and a big huge roo.

I was really hoping this was going to work as I sit here and there are 3 roos outside my back door having a crowing contest. I am trying to move and really can't afford much at all, laughable really how little, but having to give up my birds keeps me from most things I find. Not doing it. This would have been a great alternative to having to give up roos.

hugs.gif

Sorry for your loss. I'm confused since you first said no roo's in Phoenix then you wrote this:

I'm praying that the only little purebred wheaten chick that hatched for New Years is a roo AND I'm hoping that the blue eggs I got today have a little of Fred in them so that I can get another roo as large and as beautiful as Fred was.

I'll also be setting another 18 eggs from White Mountain Ranch this week, where one of Fred's brothers (a SQ Blue Wheaten) is a daddy so all I can really do now is just look forward with faith in the future.

Do you mean you'll try the surgery again on future roo's?

SO SORRY! I followed this thread because it looked interesting and I was hoping so much he would live!!!!
hugs.gif
I almost went through the same thing when my rooster almost died. Man I'm so lucky he lived, I hope you get another Fred from his chicks
hugs.gif
fl.gif
hugs.gif
fl.gif
hugs.gif
fl.gif

So sorry to hear this!! Like you, I've felt bad when a chicken passed whether it was from a predator, from unknown causes, or whatever.

I wish there were more SKILLED caponizers around the way it was in the early 1900's when one could be hired. While it doesn't completely eliminate crowing, it cuts it way back, which is the objective with urban chickens.

Another poster commented about chickens in cities abroad. It's been a number of years but I heard roosters on trips to Latin America but not much on a trip to central and eastern Europe. I enjoyed hearing them and they're good alarm clocks that take up no space in a suitcase!!

It seems that decrowing is riskier?

I'm so sorry! I commend you for the effort you made to try to keep your rooster. It's a shame that urban America can't accept a rooster. I've stewed 5 so far to spare the flock persecution. It's never easy. My best to you.
hugs.gif

So very sorry Mahonri. I've been at work and just got home and found the thread to check up on Fred....
sad.png

You did your best, that's all anyone can do.

Oh, and I gotta agree with the poster that said some people need de-crowed too. I know a few of those myself.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom