I had my rooster "Fred" de-crowed... sad update

Status
Not open for further replies.
this may sound nit-picky, but I'm taking from your post above that it's not legal for you to have a rooster? So you are performing a very risky operation to help hide illegal birds?

Quote:
no he is trying to keep the noise down, so to be able to still breed chicken.

Mahonri, sorry man...if you do try again.....you can feed one with a tube a mash until they heal, my guess thats why he wasn't eating. I have hand Fed many birds like that.

Its almost comical to read the negative responses on here, when people think nothing of wringing the neck of a crower, and putting them in a stew pot.

I have pestered my boss on several occasions to please de-crow my roosters. I get really attached to them, and would love to have one, as well. Yeppers- my chickens are illegal too. Im harboring criminals.
Or perhaps, Im the criminal- harboring fugitives.

She has de-barked dogs- to keep them from being put to sleep by animal control- because neighbors complain of their barking. Not my dogs- and personally, the dogs can sound very ridiculous after they have been de-barked. Some still bark, a soft erk erk erk sound. Some dont make a sound at all.

My boss told me that a rooster cannot be de-crowed like a dog because they dont have a voice-box like a dog does. They dont have 'chords' but flaps of tissue, making it impossible to do the procedure without killing them.

I read your thread with great interest, because this proves it can be done.

I am so sorry for your loss. I was very much hoping for a positive outcome for personal reasons (very satisfying to show the article to my boss to say, "SEEE it can so be done"), and I was cheering you on because you would be able to keep your roo despite the stupid law.

And as an FYI- we mask birds down using isoflurane when procedures need to be done.

Last edited:
Sorry for your loss, Mahonri. You did what you could. It didn't turn out as well as it could have. That happens sometimes.

Good luck.

hugs.gif
Maybe a few "culls" to practice on? In case it happens, better get the BBQ grill ready. (I know, its sick humor but some vets had to resort in finding patients that they know they will die under the knife for one to learn and get better.) Vets have to start somewhere!

I have no comment really....

.....the rest of the post was not helpful to the OP. Let's be careful to avoid flaming, please.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom