I HATE fleas!!!

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by hatchaholic, Oct 24, 2008.

1. hatchaholic

hatchaholic Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2008
    South Carolina
    OMG!!! I am getting so tired of fighting fleas this year!! Has anyone else had a harder than normal time with them this year??

I have 2 lil dogs and 5 cats that live inside. (Somehow I always get stuck with strays, but that's another story...).

We live in sand land and the fleas are just awful. Even the frontline/advantage stuff doesn't work. I read mixed opinions on DE, so I'm trying that now. Figure it can't hurt, right? I've dipped them, bathed them, just about everything you can think of...

Does anyone have any suggestions???? PLEASE!!! I'm itching just typing about them...

2. GopherBoyFarms

GopherBoyFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2008
    Vancouver WA
    we had bad fleas this year...me and my son are allergic it all bug bites so we looked like leppers......I finaly ordered frontline on ebay it was for dogs and was enough to treat my 3 cats for 3 months for $20 (I am planning on ordering again)
    was the best cost affective way to do it.
    Chickens have had no bug issues so far thank goodness...but I feel for you with the fleas.

3. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    ooh, i feel your misery!..yup, this year is bad for fleas!...i have 3 dogs and 6 indoor cats..and i swear my foster son brought them in from his previous home..they were flea ridden!..[​IMG]..and i cant stand to see a flea on my pets!(i start itching right away!) i just spent about 130$ on flea meds..(6cat..3dog)..carpet powder..foggers..lol..i'm in an all out war here!....u can also use dawn dish soap to wash the pets..it kills fleas..and also, 20 mule team Borax,(sprinkled all over the carpet and furniture) that is a definate flea killer..but..for me..i just use the meds...i dont want to risk an infestation that gets out of hand..[​IMG]...*scratch..scratch*..[​IMG]..

4. KellyHM

KellyHM Overrun With Chickens

Sep 10, 2008
    Lakeland, FL
    Flea Stoppers powder is the best product on earth for fleas. You put it in your carpet and it lasts for a year or longer! It's perfectly safe for animals, people, even babies crawling around on it. But it kills all the fleas. It's wonderful!

5. Redfeathers

Redfeathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 11, 2007
    Gervais OR
    Quote:Just in case you ordered from Noahpets or another of the people that ship from China or overseas, I just wanted to mention that my dog was having seizures from the Frontline I ordered off ebay from them. There is something different about it and I don't want to misquote the ingredients, but I just wanted to let you know what happened to us. It doesn't mean that it will happen to you, but if it does, you will know why. We buy the American version now and the seizures stopped.

6. PotterWatch

PotterWatch My Patronus is a Chicken

Apr 22, 2008
    Virginia
    The advice I have previously been given is... get some guineas!

7. Akane

Akane Overrun With Chickens

Jun 15, 2008
    Try revolution if the others don't work. It's a bit stronger which it does have a higher risk of side effects. It's also a bit pricier. That's why you don't see it as often unless either frontline and advantage don't work or the person doesn't want to give both a flea treatment and heartworm meds since revolution treats both in dogs.

You also have to treat your yard and house. Especially your yard. If not they'll just keep picking them up. If the infestation is that bad your yard is probably covered in fleas and they are surviving on wildlife and other people's pets so your yard stays infested. I don't know the best thing to treat a yard. There are articles online about it that I've read but I've never had to do it. In fact I didn't treat at all this year and I saw 1 flea before they all got frozen by the cold weather.

8. FlightsofFancy

FlightsofFancy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 22, 2008
    Canton, GA
    I love herbals and personally prefere not to use heavy duty chemicals, but I have been a dog groomer for over 25 years and I have never seen fleas like this year. Nothing seems to be working consistantly. The Frontline and Advantage will slow them down, but not knock them out.
    If you have an infestation I would reccommend Comfortis. It is doing the job with out fail this year. I would just use it for 1 month past the last seen fleas and then stop and go back to Frontline plus.
    Spray and clean your carpets, couches and all bedding within a few days of the first dose and you should be set.
    Good luck!!!!!!

PS>This is a heavy duty drug, so please get it from your vet and follow their guildlines. I was able to give my small dog 1/2 a dose and it was still effective.

9. Chatychick

Chatychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2007
    Blue Mound, Kansas
    We live way out in the sticks and have never had a flea problem till this year and dont know where they came from. I have tried almost everything . I have a dog that is allergic to them and it makes his hair fall out. He looks awful this year. They are really bad and my guinnies have kept the ticks out of the yeard but the fleas arent just outside they are inside also I gues. The only thing is that they have just basically stayed on the dogs with a few jumping off. I tried dipping the dogs as this has helped before but it didnt even faze them. I am using fronline also and dusting the carpets often. With cold weather comming I have noticed they are slowing down. I hate fleas but so far they arent biting me.

10. jjthink

jjthink Overrun With Chickens

Jan 17, 2007
    New Jersey
    It's so interesting (and awful) - the flea explosion you're all describing - as I have not seen fleas this year at all and I was thinking how odd that was! Guess I ought to also be remembering to be grateful about it. Have never had Frontline not work (didn't even use it this year) so it's quite worrisome to hear that it hasn't been effective in some cases. All the best with getting flea free ASAP! JJ

Red, thanks so very much for the info you provided. China products troubles again - yeesh.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by