I hate Hate HATE 'possums

Beekissed and Miss Jayne made me snort my coffee. Wow!

My first close encounter with a possum was as a young teen. Bad winter even for n. central Indiana. Was walking up to the front steps where the garbage cans had been set out for collection and as I pass next to the cans, this giant he possum rears up and snarly hisses at my face. I swear in my memory this thing was unreal huge, 3 feet tall, all teeth and at eye level. Turns out it had forced its way into the crawl space and tore into the home's heating ducts running in the floors. My little brother had been feeding it through the floor vent for weeks - his pet! Ahhh!

Of course there's nothing like walking out to the patio after dinner to pick up the burnt tray of cookies (where I'd laid the heavily smoking tray on the grill) and finding a big possum sitting there pretending I couldn't see it for all its worth. That was funny.

Or being woken in the wee hours by the full-throated battle cry of all three cats because one nosed open the back door. The cats stayed puffed up and growly for an hour.

Needless to say, my coop get locked tight at night.
I think I need a .22...

Joe Bryant and Bear foot Farms! You all are so funny! What alot of comedians are up this morning! I can't stop laughing, thank you.

This whole thing has been the BEST way to start a Monday- can ya'll do this every Monday morning?
I still have tears in my eyes from laughing!!!!

Thanks for the Monday morning laugh!
gig.gif
lau.gif

gig.gif
lau.gif
gig.gif
lau.gif
this topic is sooo funny!

ever since I found out that possums play dead when frightened I have been wanting to scare one!
big_smile.png

i do think it is neat that they are marsupials.

I've caught them in the barn -- of course! -- because DH has been feeding them and the 'coons for years cat food. I kept telling him that there is no way the barn cats can eat that much food.

The first (and only) chicken I had killed was done the night I pulled the cat food out at night.... guess I ticked 'em off. Ripped the head off of a meatie through the cage bars. We caught 4 coons after that and a possum.

Do possums actually KILL chickens?

Last edited:
I had a possum rooting in my front yard one night when I got home late so i grabbed the .22 and prepared to end it's life, I shot the bugger 6 or 7 times with 38gr subsonics and the dumb thing just kept dragging itself along in the underbrush.

I finally just decided it would die and left it for a few hours and then went back and checked on it and it's sides were still heaving like it was breathing.
I gave it another one thru the head and it seemed to stop so I left it.

The next morning I went out and checked it and a bunch of hairless babies had crawled out of the pouch and died in the cool night. I think why the sides were heaving was because the babies were crawling around in there!! It was kinda gross...

Not really on topic but still a possum story..
roll.png

Back
Top Bottom