I hate it when people call Thanksgiving "turkey day"

oof. Someone found one of the very FEW things that I find offensive!

The problem with calling Thanksgiving "Turkey Day" is not that we eat more turkey than any other meat or soy substitute. It's that it makes the eating the focus of the holiday. We don't call Easter "Chocolate Day," even though that's what that holiday has been reduced to for the most part. We don't call Christmas "Presents Day," either, even though that's all it's about, apparently.

Thanksgiving is a holiday especially meant as a non-denominational day of reflection on our blessings, for the friends we have, and if we're lucky, a roof over our heads and a steady income. I don't consider myself a spiritual person at all, but I DO think I'm more consciously grateful for what few things I have than most other people I know.

For people to refer to it as Turkey Day simply shows, sadly, typical American short-sighted entitlement. How many seconds did it take to say Grace before the meal, if anyone said it at all? How many more seconds, or minutes, did you actually spend on what you were thankful for? and how many hours did you spend smelling, preparing, eating, digesting the food and watching football?

If Thanksgiving were a fasting day for this country, we'd all be more thankful the rest of the year.

I just heard the term, "Happy Tofurkey Day", as in tofu, by my vegetarian friend
gig.gif
Rather clever, if I do say so myself.

The problem with calling Thanksgiving "Turkey Day" is not that we eat more turkey than any other meat or soy substitute. It's that it makes the eating the focus of the holiday. We don't call Easter "Chocolate Day," even though that's what that holiday has been reduced to for the most part. We don't call Christmas "Presents Day," either, even though that's all it's about, apparently.

Thanksgiving is a holiday especially meant as a non-denominational day of reflection on our blessings, for the friends we have, and if we're lucky, a roof over our heads and a steady income. I don't consider myself a spiritual person at all, but I DO think I'm more consciously grateful for what few things I have than most other people I know.

For people to refer to it as Turkey Day simply shows, sadly, typical American short-sighted entitlement. How many seconds did it take to say Grace before the meal, if anyone said it at all? How many more seconds, or minutes, did you actually spend on what you were thankful for? and how many hours did you spend smelling, preparing, eating, digesting the food and watching football?

If Thanksgiving were a fasting day for this country, we'd all be more thankful the rest of the year.

I agree

Last edited:

The problem with calling Thanksgiving "Turkey Day" is not that we eat more turkey than any other meat or soy substitute. It's that it makes the eating the focus of the holiday. We don't call Easter "Chocolate Day," even though that's what that holiday has been reduced to for the most part. We don't call Christmas "Presents Day," either, even though that's all it's about, apparently.

Well said. They want to take our heros and history away from us. Without those, we're adrift and could be easily lead. By taking the spiritual from us, it leaves us in need and wanting something to fill the void. The people who demand their entitlements and have no clue about traditions, are to be pitied. They would not be able to survive with out the handouts and would have no knowlege to draw on if the going gets tough. It's easier to follow the 'new' than it is to learn from the old.

Well said. They want to take our heros and history away from us. Without those, we're adrift and could be easily lead. By taking the spiritual from us, it leaves us in need and wanting something to fill the void. The people who demand their entitlements and have no clue about traditions, are to be pitied. They would not be able to survive with out the handouts and would have no knowlege to draw on if the going gets tough. It's easier to follow the 'new' than it is to learn from the old.

Seriously? You get all of this from a nickname?

What heroes are you concerned about? What history? Non Denominational?

Thanksgiving is a result of mandated church services in England in the 1660's combined with a Calvinist tradition of holding regular "thanksgivings" which were just days of prayer, all laid on top of (among other things) a fairy tale about a great big party that most historians believe was just a one time harvest in which Native Americans kept English settlers from starving to death to later have their lives, culture, and land stolen and destroyed and a foreign religion forced on them. Lovely.

Lincoln made the holiday official during the civil war saying "Thanksgiving and Praise to our beneficent Father who dwelleth in the Heavens."

Honestly? I would rather feel grateful everyday and take one day a year to celebrate turkeys than honor this particular history.

No one is taking anything from you. You are feel to practice any holidays and any spiritual path you choose. Allow others the same.

The problem with calling Thanksgiving "Turkey Day" is not that we eat more turkey than any other meat or soy substitute. It's that it makes the eating the focus of the holiday. .........

...........Thanksgiving is a holiday especially meant as a non-denominational day of reflection on our blessings, ............

If that's what you think it is, then I think that is lovely for you. But to me, Thanksgiving is the day to get together with all the family, enjoy the company, and eat lots of delicious food. To some one else, it might be the day to watch football. I like Thanksgiving, because it appears to be the only holiday left where there is no mandatory gift giving involved, no flowers or diamonds to buy, no mandatory cards to send, no advertising trying to get me to buy a new car for the significant other.. No hyped up spoiled over-stimulated children sulking because they didn't get the toy they wanted..

Just because you want to spend the day reflecting on your blessings, doesn't mean you can insist that everyone else do the same as you do. The holiday means different things to different people and you don't get to dictate what it is supposed to mean to everybody.

Seriously? You get all of this from a nickname?

What heroes are you concerned about? What history? Non Denominational?

Thanksgiving is a result of mandated church services in England in the 1660's combined with a Calvinist tradition of holding regular "thanksgivings" which were just days of prayer, all laid on top of (among other things) a fairy tale about a great big party that most historians believe was just a one time harvest in which Native Americans kept English settlers from starving to death to later have their lives, culture, and land stolen and destroyed and a foreign religion forced on them. Lovely.

Lincoln made the holiday official during the civil war saying "Thanksgiving and Praise to our beneficent Father who dwelleth in the Heavens."

Honestly? I would rather feel grateful everyday and take one day a year to celebrate turkeys than honor this particular history.

No one is taking anything from you. You are feel to practice any holidays and any spiritual path you choose. Allow others the same.
We, Christians do allow atheists your own holiday, on April 1st every year. It's the Atheists, who IMO want to wipe Christianity out. But God is still your Father and Creator weather you like it or not, and I do feel sorry for your ignorance thinking that American Indians first settled Americans when archeology clearly proves it was not. The trouble with most Americans is they do not know their roots or their heritage. When the 10 so called "LOST" tribes went over the Caucasus Mountains, after captivity, settled in Europe and later came to the US(Our forefathers), they encountered people here, but before that many Hebrews were here and were wiped out by these people. If people do not know their HERITAGE, they will follow other ethnics peoples who do, for lack of knowledge. Thanksgiving is a national Holiday to Celebrate the Blessing of our forefathers and foremothers surviving that first winter, so we can be here in this great nation . I agree with you, in that we should Thank Our Father in Heaven, Everyday and for every blessing He bestows, and for one, I do ! I also keep HIM in every facet of my life and and try my hardest to live as instructed in His Loving Letter to US, the BIBLE ! It is NOT a RELIGION, It is a REALITY !!!
hugs.gif

Wow. With all that's going on in the world we are all still focused on being politically correct and concerned with how others are living their lives. Really? I am THANKFUL for all of my Blessings everyday and don't need a national holiday to remind me of such. I keep in touch with my family all year long. I am Thankful there is a holiday to remind other people of what family life should be like no matter who calls it what. I do not let what other people say or do affect me. Live and let live. I think many need to sit down and prioritize their own lives and let others choose their own paths. Worrying about being politically correct and what others might think is why we are where we are today. You can't show pride in a job well done because someone might be offended. You can't cover your body is just clothes because you need to impress someone with $100 jeans. We are in debt beyond belief because we have to have a better home and car than our neighbors. We scare people off from churches because we cannot see past our own beliefs to let others voice what they believe. The courts are full of lawsuits because someone go their feelings hurt. Why strive to win when everyone will get a participation ribbon and we aren't keeping score? Really??? Let's all be thankful EVERY DAY! And let's not waste our time being offended by a simple saying. Quit judging others and worry about making your own lives the happiest it can be. Just my 2 cents.

Back
Top Bottom