I hate it when people call Thanksgiving "turkey day"

queenturkeygirl

Songster
13 Years
Jul 28, 2010
usa
I mean seriously? It's not if it was people would be celebrating turkeys existence and not murdering them and causing them pain

Last edited:
Why do you think domestic turkey varieties exist? To eat.
i know thats what they were bred for, but what i'm saying "Turkey day" is an awful name for it, if they just call it Thanksgiving that'd be fine to me. otherwise on 9/11 we mourn for the people we lost not celebrate

i know thats what they were bred for, but what i'm saying "Turkey day" is an awful name for it, if they just call it Thanksgiving that'd be fine to me. otherwise on 9/11 we mourn for the people we lost not celebrate
We call it national day of mourning. But then thanksgiving is a reminder of 500 years of subjugation and genocide for my mother's people. *shrugs* but turkey day is just a good.

There's nothing wrong with having some gratitude for the sacrifice the turkey makes , nor for thanking the turkey for his contribution. Since the turkey is the centerpiece of the day, and because Thanksgiving is often the only day of the year that most families roast a turkey, I see nothing wrong with the term turkey day.

Those who don't think birds should be killed to eat are very welcome to be vegans. That doesn't bother me. I won't tell you what to eat, but you can return the courtesy and not try to tell me what to eat.

...or what to call the most special day I EAT it! lol. I never used to refer to Thanksgiving as Turkey day before... but I think I will now that I will be eating our first home raised turkeys!
cool.png

There's nothing wrong with having some gratitude for the sacrifice the turkey makes , nor for thanking the turkey for his contribution. Since the turkey is the centerpiece of the day, and because Thanksgiving is often the only day of the year that most families roast a turkey, I see nothing wrong with the term turkey day.

Those who don't think birds should be killed to eat are very welcome to be vegans. That doesn't bother me. I won't tell you what to eat, but you can return the courtesy and not try to tell me what to eat.
X2

X 2!!! My turkeys are given the best life possible. They have the best food, allowed to range during the day and a comfortable and safe shelter at night. Most of these birds are breed for meat just like the cornish rocks. To try and keep them beyond their alloted time would be cruel.

Calling it Turkey Day is not my favorite thing either, but today everything seems to be shortened or pasted with some kind of glib saying. What are you going to do? Me, I call it Thanksgiving and always will. You want to call it Turkey Day? That's fine too. Some things aren't worth getting upset over.

agreed. That being said, we still hold a meal on thanksgiving, but on every meal my family thanks the life lost to feed us no matter the day. Turkey day seems fine to me.

Back
Top Bottom