I hate one of my chicks!

bakerjw

Songster
9 Years
Apr 14, 2010
Johnson City, Tn
Well actually not hate but darn close to having a bowl of chick soup. Just kidding. But I was frustrated.

I moved my TSC sex link with her 7 chicks out into the run with the other 7 TSC girls. Everything went fine after the mother hen ran at the other girls letting them know that her brood was off limits. Took a whole 5 minutes and everybody gets along great. That was last weekend.

Fast forward to Tuesday evening. We had cold rain moving into the area so I went out and proceeded to hustle the chickens into the coop earlier than is normal for them. I've been doing a renovation and had drywall to finish and sand. Getting the girls into the coop wasn't too big of a deal although I did have to do a couple double captures. Getting the mother hen in wasn't even too bad once I wrangled a few of the chicks inside. Eventually I was down to one rather distressed chick. They have yet to figure out how to go up the ramp with mother hen.

It took me 20 minutes to wrangle the last chick into the coop. It would run back and forth under the coop peeping like crazy. At one point the mother hen came out and somehow managed to coax it onto the ramp. I thought "Great! It's going inside" But the mother hen spotted an earthworm and bounded off the ramp to show the chick the treat that she had found. Of course the little fuzzy butt bounded along after momma.

Someday they will realize that the ramp is their friend.

lau.gif

There's one of those in every bunch-mine just so happens to be a 2 month old Porcelain Pyncheon rooster that does the same thing.
I've called him every name in the book and even made up a few chasing him in the rain.
smile.png

Don't hate him, just get frustrated with him, same as you.

I have one I absolutely can't stand as well! She's the meanest thing, and if she wasn't a good layer and also my sons chicken she would be soup!

Now picture that EXACT event, but I'm crouched down in a run that is less than 3 ft tall, trying to get a chick inside, all while mama broody is successfully biting me trying to protect her chick.
barnie.gif

In my last set of chicks, I named to siblings - - - NOW and LATER.

Later was always the last one for anything ! Last to leave the coop, Last to return to the coop.
She just refused to do what everyone else was doing. They ran left and she would run right . . . .

Her sister, NOW would come along just like she was suppose to!

In case you are wondering - - - all HENS get dessert / candy names. Hence, the NOW and LATER names
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom