I hate pepe' lepew!! (aka skunk)

Quote:
I didnt do anything against the law either. I have grown up on a ranch for over half my life, i am very jaded to a lot of things in life, and in death. I have found dead bodies, humans, and i have watched the nature (mountain lion) that the beautiful people of CA have protected wipe out a herd of 20 goats, a turkey, an 80# pig and some ducks............and didnt eat anything, just killed them.

I have come home from family vacation to my kids duck project massacered, headless, from some rampant raccoons. Am i going to sit back and just say, oh well..................nope. I am at the top of the food chain, and i intend to stay there. Did i kill the skunk.........yup, why? Because i do not relocate predatory vermin to other areas that they can cause havoc. Would you like people to dump off their unwanted cats in your neighborhood? I dont think so.

And just to give you some insight on skunks.....when you trap them, and you decide to shoot it instead of drowning it, you better do it from a long distance away, they can spray atleast 15 feet, easily, and when you do shoot them, they still spray anyhow, i learned the hard way as a young teenager.

I am not picking on you, you voiced your opinion and i am voicing mine, you are not wrong and if you come across the situation, you can handle it how you want, i handled it how i wanted to.

PS- Yes, i am a hunter, and yes, i am a conservationist and do more physically for nature than people who think they love nature, do...........................Jason

Quote:
I didnt do anything against the law either. I have grown up on a ranch for over half my life, i am very jaded to a lot of things in life, and in death. I have found dead bodies, humans, and i have watched the nature (mountain lion) that the beautiful people of CA have protected wipe out a herd of 20 goats, a turkey, an 80# pig and some ducks............and didnt eat anything, just killed them.

I have come home from family vacation to my kids duck project massacered, headless, from some rampant raccoons. Am i going to sit back and just say, oh well..................nope. I am at the top of the food chain, and i intend to stay there. Did i kill the skunk.........yup, why? Because i do not relocate predatory vermin to other areas that they can cause havoc. Would you like people to dump off their unwanted cats in your neighborhood? I dont think so.

And just to give you some insight on skunks.....when you trap them, and you decide to shoot it instead of drowning it, you better do it from a long distance away, they can spray atleast 15 feet, easily, and when you do shoot them, they still spray anyhow, i learned the hard way as a young teenager.

I am not picking on you, you voiced your opinion and i am voicing mine, you are not wrong and if you come across the situation, you can handle it how you want, i handled it how i wanted to.

PS- Yes, i am a hunter, and yes, i am a conservationist and do more physically for nature than people who think they love nature, do...........................Jason

I'm glad you finnally posted in your defence because I was interested to hear your thoughts on this!
smile.png
Oh great... So you're telling me if i do catch a skunk im SOL!?
th.gif
noooo that is my fear... is trapping a skunk
hit.gif
So far it's only been oppossums and raccooons. Your last sentence is perfecto!

Quote:
Niki, this isnt the first response in defense of the skunk i have received!!!LOL

Most people think its cruel to dispose of a menace varmint like coyotes, raccoons, possums and skunks...............but they are the first ones to mention how their flock of prize birds was "torn apart" by something that goes "bump" in the night, but they dont want to hurt the critter that did it, they just want it to go away, problem is, they wont, until either the food supply is depleted, or the flock is contained in a "Fort Knox" setting, which is almost impossible to do with raccoons!!

I look at it this way, i have a lot of time, heart, blood, sweat and money invested in my animals and birds and i will protect them to the best of my ability, even if that means eliminating the source of the problem. Just in eggs, this skunk ate about $160 worth in one night. This skunk ate not only a means to compensate for the feed bill, but the reason i raise ducks in the first place, to watch them develope from eggs, into ducklings, into colorful canvas's of living art.

And yes Niki, trapped skunks are no fun at all, ive only trapped a handful and they are a pain in my butt to deal with compared to trapped raccoons and possums!!! Everytime i set the trap, i hope i dont catch one, kind of an oxymoron i guess!!

Now, i dont want this thread to be locked like some other contoversial topics have been, so i wont comment anymore, i just wanted to share a humorous story with fellow breeders that even i thought was funny..........and i am sure i will have a new nick name at work that i wont be proud of!!..............Jason

Quote:
I dont think it will be stinky, as that name is already labeled to another co-worker with some pungent body odor, of course due to ethics (and the harassment policy at work), we dont call it to his face.

I do see SKUNK being my new nick name at work.............either way, its not something i will be proud to be labeled, but its still funny!!!

I do not miss the skunks of So. Cal.
sickbyc.gif
Don't flame me, but the only good skunk is a dead skunk, and even then they don't smell too good. I've been fortunated never to have been hit by one (I'm sorry Jason) but I hit one with my car one night, and let me tell you, that is the WORST thing you will ever smell.
Even if he had relocated the skunk, it may have found its way back eventually, or become someone else's headache. That's not cool. (Boyd knows that one!!) It's one thing if you have 500 acres and want to deposit it at the farthest corner of your own property, but anywhere else it's just wrong.

Last edited:
Mrs. AK-Bird-Brain :

I do not miss the skunks of So. Cal.
sickbyc.gif
Don't flame me, but the only good skunk is a dead skunk, and even then they don't smell too good. I've been fortunated never to have been hit by one (I'm sorry Jason) but I hit one with my car one night, and let me tell you, that is the WORST thing you will ever smell.
Even if he had relocated the skunk, it may have found its way back eventually, or become someone else's headache. That's not cool. (Boyd knows that one!!) It's one thing if you have 500 acres and want to deposit it at the farthest corner of your own property, but anywhere else it's just wrong.

sickbyc.gif
lau.gif

In my opinion and speaking as someone who really likes wild animals: Unfortunately with predators that get used to thinking of humans and human pets and livestock as food sources, one isn't really doing them any favors by letting them eat your animals or your garbage anyway. It only encourages them. They'll raise litters of babies to do the same thing, and then the whole lot of them will end up getting trapped or poisoned by some less humane person later on. Wild critters need more wild habitat where they don't rub up against humans, and humans have to defend the animals under our care and make sure that wild critters don't come to think of us as the 24-hour all-you-can-eat buffet. It's a good thing to relocate them if possible, but if they're accustomed to treating humans as a food source, often they'll just go after poultry wherever they've been moved to, become someone else's problem, and suffer a bad end there, like Mrs. AK says. The best thing for the wild predators is prevention, if possible...make everything of yours harder to get at than their natural prey. Build Fort Knox. And I doubt I could do it, especially with wild birds almost flying into my bedroom!

Sorry this happened, Jason. But at least you got rid of this particular problem critter.

Quote:
so funny Jason,
gig.gif
I have had my trip down skunk lane the last 2 springs. The first spring, we had a mother skunk get killed in the road. Dh says I wonder if the babies are around
he.gif
Why did he have to jinx us!! They some how ended up under the house and we couldn't get them out. I'm swearing this is why I wanted a basement lol and he was out there trying to shoot them when they came out. EVERYTHING stunk. I was so sure my co-workers could smell it, but they said they couldn't. Then we let our bull dog outside and he was sniffing it's nose like they were friends
th.gif

Finally we got rid of all 5-2 got hit in the road, one my big goose killed, and the other 2 we killed, but it was a long time before the smell went away. This year my bull dog and beagle had to get sprayed twice in one week
th.gif
I am so sick of the smell lol.

As for killing of predators...well I will stay away from that, but to say. I had the sweetest little banty roo called Chickenhawk and I loved him just as a pet. Well in one night 3 raccoons masacered my whole flock, it was horrible to wake up to. We couldn't find Chickenhawk and I was hopefull he was alive. We started setting live traps. We caught all 3 coons that night. on day 2 I was still cleaning up the blood and feathers. I went out in their pasture to pick up there and glanced up . In a fork in a tree was Chickenhawk. He was dead, but they had stuffed his lifeless body in the tree. They weren't hungary, they just wanted to kill. Needless to say those 3 raccoons never walked the earth again.

Julie

Back
Top Bottom