I hate pepe' lepew!! (aka skunk)

cawooduck

Songster
10 Years
Mar 21, 2009
Livermore, CA
So i go out to candle the progress of my duck eggs i have under a banty hen last night and while reaching under her i only pull out 3 eggs, im thinking, what the heck, she had 8 under her? So i candle them and things look good. The night before i left the hen house door open, not a common occurance. I mention it to my 7 year old and he decides to set the live trap thinking a wild critter got the eggs the night before, i let him, meanwhile thinking that its a waste of time...........i was wrong, very wrong.

I wake up at 5:15 AM to go to work, i go to the hen house to open the door for the wave of chickens to feed, when there in the trap, was the black and white varmint. Dang it, i am going to be late, i call in and explain my situation, they give me a hard time and i go about getting rid of the critter.

I grab an old blanket and start walking slowly up to the trap, like ive done before, but this was different, this skunk had attitude, he stares at me sizing me up and picking a target site on me and flips around to show me his butt, i back up with the speed of a garbage truck driver!! I rethink things and approach from a corner, i start getting close when he spins around again, this time there is no turning back, i feel the "goo" hitting the blanket and i throw it over the trap, the smell is so pungent it instantly burns my nostrils rendering my sense of smell. I walk the trap over to the bath that awaits the skunk and in it goes.

Now, its off to work i go, my nostrils on fire, all i smell is "that smell". I go into the mini-mart for coffee and the homeless people looked at me like i stink, as i am thinking the same thing about them.

I procede on to work, i walk into the shop and the guys procede to give me a hard time, a skunk, ya right................until it hits them, the stench, they clear out of the shop like a four alarm fire and i am left standing there. I wash my hands with some powerful soap, thinking i hope i got it all (remember, my sense of smell is shot) and i ask the old guy in the shop to do the smell test on me, he oblidges and procedes to back away slowly!

I decide to call it a day and head home where i strip down to my skivies outside and head into the shower where my wife is, she asks what i am doing home, but before she could get the last word out she shouts, " holy $%^&, what the heck happend to you, you STINK". I explain the story to her (while she plugs her nose) and she darts out of the bathroom, to the kitchen, and grabs a can of speghetti sauce and hands it to me in the shower. Now, not only do i smell of skunk, but it looks like the aftermath of a bad night of drinking in the shower, not a friendly reminder of days gone bye.

So, here i sit after an eventful morning, waiting for my sense of smell to come back................anyone want to join me for a cup of coffee!!............I hope everyones day "smells like roses".........i wish mine did..................Jason

Sheesh, I can smell ya from here!! (Oakdale)
lau.gif
lau.gif
gig.gif
gig.gif

Last edited:
That was the most discriptive, HALARIOUS post ive read in a while!
lau.gif

THANK YOU Jason the discriptions left my sides hurting
lau.gif
YAY i dont have to smelll ittt i dont have to smell itttt
lau.gif

Quote:
I didn't even read that part (i dunno how i over-looked it). I am not very keen on drowning predators as I feel bad for them, but sometimes it's not possible to kill them any other way...esp a skunk spraying continously. I dunno how i'd even begin to tackle a skunk it'd be tarp....then..... hope the .22 still works
lau.gif
and goggles...and.... i dunno lol! I had to hang a 35 lb raccoon once....his death would have been better drowned I can tell you that... but I had no other means at the time. Gotta do what you gotta do.

I woudnt kill them at all , I would relocate them or live with them on my property. Im afraid Im just one of those people , I dont bealve that you should kill something just because its there or because its a bit irritateing for you . I am shure I will have to agree to disagree with most people on this .

Quote:
it stole his just to hatch ducklings I'd be very upset..i'd consider that much mroe than irritating. The raccoon I had slaughtered my light brown leghorn roo which was very upsetting as he was a rescue.....and rescued and then suffered a horrible death. Just as you said agree to disagree and if you would be happy to live with a predator that's fine, I for one don't.
smile.png

ETA: the raccoon was taken with a "fur takers" license btw so I was within the law
wink.png
(my dads). And yep relocating wildlife is illegal for various reasons.

Last edited:
Quote:
gabs, please don't relocate predators, don't want you to get in trouble with the law. Hire an exterminator or call animal control.

I willnot do anything thats aginst the law so dont worry , as I live in an aprtment its a mute point anyways
tongue.png

And yes we will all most likely have to agree to dissagree on this , I dont kill things , the only way I would change that would be if GOD FORBID an animal actively went after my child or something and then I would , besides that no thank you , there is enough hate and death and suffering in the world without me being a part of it. JMHO

Last edited:
Wow. I for one do not kill out of hate or pleasure of it. So if you think that of me I am very offended. Killing out of necessity is different....killing for food is different. Not trying to make you believe diferently than you do but saying it's out of hate isn't it. Jason probably didn't HATE that skunk either, annoyed yes... but I highly doubt he killed it out of hate.

Mute point is right...btw.. if you dont live out in the country like I do, and you won't do anything illegal (like relocating) then how WOULD you plan to keep away predators that would eat your birds? Beg them?
lau.gif
Not living in the woods like many of us do gives you absolutely no insight on to how it is for us so until you do, you cannot say how you'd react to this or not. BTW calling the game commision for raccoons and skunks you'd be laughed at and hung up on atleast here in PA.

This is off topic and im done with it, but I hope you read this and see where US that DO deal with predators eating our animals has nothing to do with you living in an apartment where your animals are almost 100% safe from wild predators.

Also about your children... maybe those of us who don't have children yet look at our animals AS children. So consider that too... even those of us who DO have children stll love our animals as much as we love our children (well maybe not AS much but close
lau.gif
). So just because you'd kill them if they came after your children doesnt mean we don't have the right to kll htem for kiling OUR animals. Just something to consider... not mad or anything just making a point.

End.
smile.png
tongue.png

Back
Top Bottom