I hate the metal waterers

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Crazy4mypeeps, Jun 8, 2011.

1. Crazy4mypeeps

Crazy4mypeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2011
    Nebraska
    Ours is just a rust bucket, I have rinsed and rinsed, and still there is rust in the water when I change it out. I'm ditching this thing as soon as I can. Anyone else hate them?

I plan on making the PVC Waterers for the coop in the fall.

2. jmc

jmc Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2008
    South Central MA
    rubber feed bowls work very well, trust me. no rust from rubber

3. Crazy4mypeeps

May 17, 2011
    Nebraska
    Rubber feed bowls, Hmmmm yeah I bet they wash right up too.

4. lucky10

lucky10 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 8, 2011
    I have plastic waterers. They work great as well and they can hold a lot of water if you get big ones. The only thing I would see wrong with a rubber feed bowl is that if you put water in it and a small chicken jumps in, it can drowned. I suggest the plastic waterer. A chicken can't drown in it, it holds a lot of water, and it won't rust!!
    Hope this helps:)

5. m_shuman

m_shuman Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2011
    Springfield, GA
    I bought a plastic 5 gallon waterer from the local feed store. Not only was I afraid of corrosion with a metal one but I was also afraid it would make the water warmer than a plastic one and would be hard to bleach.

6. MjChickens

MjChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2010
    La Center, Wa
    I love the plastic ones, I have 3 5 gallon one and I take the pressure wash to them about everything 3-4 months and they look brand new everytime.

7. Crazy4mypeeps

May 17, 2011
    Nebraska
    Yeah, we inherited this one with the chickens, now I know why. [​IMG]

8. A.T. Hagan

A.T. Hagan Don't Panic

Aug 13, 2007
    North/Central Florida
    I get five or six years use out of mine. Typical for Florida.

Plastic would not last as long for my applications I don't believe.

9. BellevueOmlet

BellevueOmlet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    I agree. We used to have a metal bucket because we thought it would be easier to heat and make things better. We did not like anything about it, rust and other problems. That is one of the things that led us to use the chicken waterer cups like this:

[​IMG]

10. anderson8505

anderson8505 Peace, Love & Happy Chickens

I use an automatic dog waterer from the feed store. I love it. I had to glue the tops of ketchup/mustard squeeze bottles to the center piece so the chickens would stop pooping in the water, but otherwise, it works fine. It's made with heavy duty plastic (I've had it for over 17 years) and the metal piece in the middle must be aluminum alloy because it doesn't rust at all. You attach it to a water hose and it refills itself.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by