I hate the metal waterers

Crazy4mypeeps

Chirping
8 Years
May 17, 2011
Nebraska
Ours is just a rust bucket, I have rinsed and rinsed, and still there is rust in the water when I change it out. I'm ditching this thing as soon as I can. Anyone else hate them?

I plan on making the PVC Waterers for the coop in the fall.

I have plastic waterers. They work great as well and they can hold a lot of water if you get big ones. The only thing I would see wrong with a rubber feed bowl is that if you put water in it and a small chicken jumps in, it can drowned. I suggest the plastic waterer. A chicken can't drown in it, it holds a lot of water, and it won't rust!!
Hope this helps:)

I bought a plastic 5 gallon waterer from the local feed store. Not only was I afraid of corrosion with a metal one but I was also afraid it would make the water warmer than a plastic one and would be hard to bleach.

Yeah, we inherited this one with the chickens, now I know why.
hmm.png

I agree. We used to have a metal bucket because we thought it would be easier to heat and make things better. We did not like anything about it, rust and other problems. That is one of the things that led us to use the chicken waterer cups like this:

62744_100_6658.jpg

I use an automatic dog waterer from the feed store. I love it. I had to glue the tops of ketchup/mustard squeeze bottles to the center piece so the chickens would stop pooping in the water, but otherwise, it works fine. It's made with heavy duty plastic (I've had it for over 17 years) and the metal piece in the middle must be aluminum alloy because it doesn't rust at all. You attach it to a water hose and it refills itself.

Back
Top Bottom