I hate to sound like an idiot, but...a few questions...

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Brelansmama, Mar 9, 2009.

1. Brelansmama

Brelansmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 24, 2009
    McMinnville, Oregon
    I am picking up chicks from the feed store in the morning, and they are my first chicks since I was a kid, so I'm a little rusty on a few things...

1) Do I leave the heat lamp on all night? Like I said, I don't want to sound like an idiot, but I've heard about daylight/dark being important, but is this only when they are older/outside in the coop??

2) When do they need grit? right away, or should they be a few weeks old first?

3) ....I guess that's all I can think of right now [​IMG]

THANK YOU! to anyone who can calm my nerves about our new babies!!
    My 3 yr old daughter is BESIDE herself, she can't wait till tomorrow! (I think I am just as excited!)

2. purecountrychicken

purecountrychicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2008
    Gray Court, SC
    They need to be kept about 90 degrees for the first week so yeah,,heat lamp all the time and they dont need grit as long as you are only feeding them grower/starter chick feed.

3. the_eagle69

the_eagle69 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2009
    Far SW VA
    Yep that was what i was going to say [​IMG] and congrads on your new chicks

4. dave_Cash69

dave_Cash69 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2009
    kaintucky
    no questions make you sound like an idiot.

5. 98 gt

98 gt a man of many... chickens

Jan 14, 2009
    Marshville NC
    if light is a concern, you coud always use a ceramic heating bulb...
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 9, 2009
  6. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

There are no idiots here. Just people that need help. Heat lamp until they are fully feathered, even if you move them outside. We keeps ours in the house for 8 weeks, then outside with the heat til feathered. No grit to start with, just chick start, and PLENTY of water. I am amazed at how much water they go through. Also, no treats for a few weeks.

Please post pics when you get them. We all love the fluffy butts.

7. Elven Dreams

Elven Dreams Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 20, 2009
    North Carolina
    Great topic! I was about to post similar questions! I will be getting my first chicks EVER at the end of the month![​IMG]

8. coffeemama

coffeemama Barista Queen

Mar 5, 2008
    Oregono
    Oh I'm glad you got the chicks-from Wilco? I use one of the red heat lights from Wilco all day and night. The chicks would quickly freeze if you turned it off. Good luck-and post pics!

9. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Quote:Pm me if you have questions. We have been through two batches of babies, and have a broddy mama with three peeps in the hen house. I think I am finally gettin the hang of this!

10. Elven Dreams

Elven Dreams Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 20, 2009
    North Carolina
    Quote:Pm me if you have questions. We have been through two batches of babies, and have a broddy mama with three peeps in the hen house. I think I am finally gettin the hang of this!

Thanks! I most definitely WILL!! lol I'm so new to this whole chicken thing.. especially babies! I am SOOOOO glad I found this forum... It's set my mind somewhat at ease.. sort of.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by