I hate to sound like an idiot, but...a few questions...

Brelansmama

Songster
10 Years
11 Years
Jan 24, 2009
McMinnville, Oregon
I am picking up chicks from the feed store in the morning, and they are my first chicks since I was a kid, so I'm a little rusty on a few things...

1) Do I leave the heat lamp on all night? Like I said, I don't want to sound like an idiot, but I've heard about daylight/dark being important, but is this only when they are older/outside in the coop??

2) When do they need grit? right away, or should they be a few weeks old first?

3) ....I guess that's all I can think of right now
roll.png

THANK YOU! to anyone who can calm my nerves about our new babies!!
My 3 yr old daughter is BESIDE herself, she can't wait till tomorrow! (I think I am just as excited!)

There are no idiots here. Just people that need help. Heat lamp until they are fully feathered, even if you move them outside. We keeps ours in the house for 8 weeks, then outside with the heat til feathered. No grit to start with, just chick start, and PLENTY of water. I am amazed at how much water they go through. Also, no treats for a few weeks.

Please post pics when you get them. We all love the fluffy butts.

Oh I'm glad you got the chicks-from Wilco? I use one of the red heat lights from Wilco all day and night. The chicks would quickly freeze if you turned it off. Good luck-and post pics!

Quote:
Pm me if you have questions. We have been through two batches of babies, and have a broddy mama with three peeps in the hen house. I think I am finally gettin the hang of this!

Quote:
Pm me if you have questions. We have been through two batches of babies, and have a broddy mama with three peeps in the hen house. I think I am finally gettin the hang of this!

Thanks! I most definitely WILL!! lol I'm so new to this whole chicken thing.. especially babies! I am SOOOOO glad I found this forum... It's set my mind somewhat at ease.. sort of.

Back
Top Bottom